What size motor for Trim Tab

Aunugget

Cadet
I bought a used boat that I am restoring. The trim tabs exist on the boat, but the motor is missing. How do I tell what size of motor I need or where to go to get one?
:confused:

cheesegrits

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: What size motor for Trim Tab

First thing - What kind of boat is it?
Second thing - How big is it?
Third and most important!- Does it have a capacity plate from the manufacturer? That will tell you the max HP.
Fourth- Start a photobucket account and post some pics so we can see what your talking about!

Aunugget

Cadet

Sorry, I am new at this posting thing.

What kind of boat is it? - 1975 Bayliner Nisqually
How big is it? - 22 Ft according to the measurements I took with the guidelines of the USG.

Where do I find the capacity plate?

How do I start a photobucket account? I have never heard of that before.

By the time I get this restored I'll be a pro I am sure.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Google photo bucket

Is this an inboard or outboard?

The capacity plate is usually on the inside of the splash well. It will tell you max weight of gear and max hp. Bayliner is still in business so if there is no plate you could probably e-mail them for the info. If they don't have it there are some measurements you can do to determine a hp rating.

Trim tabs have no bearing on the hp rating.

Good luck with the resto. The resto forum is a great site with all the info and support to help you get your boat back to new.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The trim tabs exist on the boat, but the motor is missing.

I know the boat so I'm going out on a limb here.

I'm guessing that the boat has hydralic trim tabs but the "motor" (hydralic power supply) is missing?

If this is the case, the 3-4 companies that make them pretty much all use the same power unit. What is the name on the switch on the helm?

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Wow, I missed that one by a mile. Good catch dingbat. Sorry for any misinformation Nugget.

Aunugget

Cadet

That's ok Lion Hunter.

Dingbat, Yes the hydralic power supply is what is missing. The switch states "Boat Leveler Manufactory Co." and the oil thing says Bennette.

I would love to attach a picture to show you, but I don't know how to do that.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I use tinypic for pictures. It's free. You just click uplaod and transfer pics to an online album. Once uploaded there are URLs that you cop and paste into the message. My URL states whether its for a forum, email ect. Ususlly if you copy the forum url it is already the right size pic for the forum. If the pic is to big you can click on the e-mail url and it will copy the url ony to direct the reader there. Photo bucket or flickr probably work the same and are all free.