What size motor do I need?

huntandhook

Seaman
I am looking to buy a used kicker for my fishing boat. The boat is a 16' fiberglass with a 40 HP Johnson 2-stroke. The current motor gives me a top speed of 25mph and cruises comfortably at 20mph (according to the GPS). I am looking for a small outboard for trolling for salmon, and as a backup motor in case the other one fails. Would a 5 -6 Hp be sufficient or should I get a 9.9? I want something that I can troll with all day without fouling the plugs or burning too much GA$, but I also want something that will give me enough power to get home if I am a few miles out in the Pacific. <br />Your advice would be greatly appreciated,<br />P

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: What size motor do I need?

Phaedo, the 5hp would be fine for trolling, but is woefully inadequate to get you very far very fast. Definately go with the 9.9 if you can float the $$. A 15 is even better. :D

huntandhook

Seaman

Thanks for the advice Drowned Rat. I think I will look around for a good used 9.9. I definately don't want to be under powered if I run into some strong currents. Any recommendations on good models to look for?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You will be happy for the extra hp that a 9.9 gives you.<br />Any Johnson or Evinrude from ?? '76- present would be good. Probably need a longshaft.