What size line to use?

MCAMACHO2005

Cadet
I normally fish in Moses lake at the flood gate, or in Texas City at the end of the dike and at Mosquito <br />Island. I have been using a 25lbs test line, but i think that 25 might be to big. <br /><br />Any suggestions?<br /><br />thanks.

budlin00

Cadet
Re: What size line to use?

I've used between 10-30 lbs. test over at Texas City. Haven't had any problems. There is actually the occasional fish where there might not be enough, but I think you're fine with 25 lbs.

wannagofishin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe you ought to try the braided line. Stay with 25lb, but it will be smaller diameter and more limber, making it easier to cast. <br /><br />Dan

thedust

Cadet

I grew up fishing the Texas saltwater. Now at the ripe ol age of 50+ I still use 20lb line for most everything salt water. If your gear is in good shape with a smooth drag and can hold plenty of line, there is nothing from surf to bay you can' handle. May take you a bit longer to get that biggun in, but that's the sport of it anyway to me!! Longest fight, 37 min. the fish, 5.5' shark, the gear, 12' ugly stick with penn level wind reel the place, padre island "Little Shell". Will remember that one the rest of my life.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

I prefer 30lb power-pro braided line but down size the leader to suit the type of fish im targeting. Normally I use 20lb flurocarbon leader about six feet long. The flurocarbon leaders virtually disappear in the water. The braided line is alot easier to cast and has no memory so it lays out flat and does not streach, so you can feel the slightest bite. Also I dont use any line tackel/hardware, i.e. swivels, clips, or steal leaders. I tie my leaders to the braided line. The more tackel you have in the water the better the fish can tell its not a natural bait. With that being said I must say 99.9% of my fishing is done with artificial lures.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Most inshore stuff, I'll use 6 to 10 lb. main-line with 15-30 lb. leader, depending on target species.. Sometimes, no leader at all..<br /><br />For snook season, i'll break out the heavy stuff, like 15 lb outfits, if i'm looking for tablefare...<br /><br />Occasionally, I'll tie on a short bit of light wire if cudas or spanish macks are around, for obvious reasons...<br /><br />Like ReelPoor, I don't use any swivels or clips, ect....

phantoms

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been using 20lb Fluro (Berkley Vanish), without any hardware, but started having problems with tangles, etc. Started using swivels with the leader and seems to help. Not really impressed with straight Fluro and may make the switch to braid.<br /><br />BTW, I've pulled 4ft. bonnet head sharks in on 20lb mono and a 6'6" ugly stick with no problems. Haven't caught one on the fluro yet, though.

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

FOr inshore i either use 20-30lb powerpro with a floro leader or just use 10lb sensation mono or big game with some kind of leader.