what size engine???

tuberider

Recruit
Hi everyone<br />as it is the 1st boat i have owned i have no engine and i would like to know what size engine i will need for my boat. i own a 13' 6" sea nymph that i will be using for fishing bu also want to use it to tow a biscuit in. is a 50hp too much and would a 25hp be too small? i have a chance in getting a 85hp is that a silly size that will make the boat sink<br />many thanks to any reply :D

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: what size engine???

tuberider....Welcome to the site. 50 sounds pretty good to me for that size boat. What make of motor were you thinking of?

tuberider

Recruit

thanks for the quick response,<br />its actually a 55hp johnson the year is unclear but probably a late 70,s unit,also i am unsure about long and short shafts. the rear of my boat where you clamp the engine on is 15/16 inches from the top of the bit of wood to the bottom of the rear of the boat, i have also been offered a 85hp mercury but i assume that will be too big but i may be wrong. will the boat be pulling wheelis with that without the engine being on

lewkster

Seaman

did ya read the tag on the boat, found near the back usually, says capacities max wieghts and max motor designed for the boat.