what size engine to boat ..outboard?

mudrow

Seaman Apprentice
Not sure where I was supposed to post this. I have a 16 ft Welcraft Airslot. There is no plate as to what it is supposed to use as hp. it has a 100 hp on it now but has never run for me and looks like it had a bigger motor before this one because of other holes in transom. The boat is about 6 1/2 foot wide and can carry 6 or 8 people. Has a walk through windshield, deep front V hull with the sides hanging down a little from the front to half way to the back, sort of like a tri hull. this is all I can tell you. the motor now is a merc 63 1000 100 hp. I am planning on buying another motor. Thank you very much for any help!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: what size engine to boat ..outboard?

I would put a 70hp on it, mudrow. Either a JohnnyRude 2 stroke or a JohnnyZuki DF70.<br /><br />Very little performance loss compared to a 90-100hp and a lot less fuel.

mudrow

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you JB. I forgot to mention I want to pull a skier. would this be ok for that.<br />Thanks. Mudrow

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, a 70 would be slower on the hole shot and that might make skiers unhappy.<br /><br />For ski pulling I might favor a carbed JohnnyRude 90hp. Most low end torque of the 90s.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

mudrow

Seaman Apprentice

thanks JB you have been very helpful and took fear out of the equation.