What size bearing would this be?

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, so I'm buying my first project boat this weekend and the owner said the bearings would most likely need replacing. The boat is an hour plus away so I wanted to get as prepared as possible before going so I don't have to do a lot of shopping out of town.

I don't know if this question even makes sense but can anyone guess what bearing size this trailer would most likely use? Even if its an educated guess I could buy the bearing kit and if it doesn't fit always return.

004.jpg

dwco5051

Commander
Re: What size bearing would this be?

Looking at the tire size on the trailer I would guess they are bearings for a 1" spindle. If it was me I would also pick up a pair for a 1 1/16" just to be on the safe side and return the ones I didn't use. That tire leaning against the tongue appears to be a car tire and not a spare for that trailer.

NYBo

Admiral

I agree with dwco5051. Be sure to get 2 sets of each; a set is for one wheel.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Jack it up, rip off a wheel and the hub and off to NAPA or your local bearing supplier. Make ONE trip. That stuff is very common.

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

Okay guys just the answer I was looking for, or recommendation. I'll get both and hope for the best.

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

Last question can anyone name common places that sell these parts? Never shopped for these before and my area doesn't have NAPAs.

jimdogg1269

Cadet

about any parts store should have them, i bought some for my trailer at autozone

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

Get you a pair of Bearing Buddies an grease the hell out of the b4 you start home.

rickryder

Commander

Your going to change the bearings on site before bringing the boat home?

Things to bring.....penetrating oil, hammer, channel locks, dikes, cotter pins....also consider that you don't know how long it's been sitting and as I just found out the bearing can be stuck on the spindle:eek:

You may also want to bring a grinder with a cut off wheel and a chisel.....ya might have to cut the bearing cage off and slice the inner race almost through to the spindle and use the chisel to split the race to remove it... bring some emery cloth to clean up the spindle to get the new bearing on ;)

Don't forget the grease too!! :D