What prop would be best?

jbwillis76

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,

I have a 1987 VIP fish/ski 16' (1060 dry) with a 13x19 cupped stainless Michigan (I believe) prop on a 1986 Force 85HP outboard.

Right now I'm turning around 5100 WOT at around 40 MPH +/- 1-2mph.

I'm interested in the Michigan 13.25x17 for a little more umph out of the hole but don't want to damage the top end anymore than I have to.

I notice the only prop available for this motor is the 13.25x17 aluminum prop. What can I expect going from 19P cupped to a 17P taking into account also going from stainless to aluminum? Or do you think I'm right about where I need to be?

Thanks for the help, James

junior1113

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What prop would be best?

try lifting the motor up one hole on the transom first 17 will not harm anything

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: What prop would be best?

As suggested raising the motor could improve your top end and perhaps the hole shot as well at no cost.
When you change material and probably brand you introduce more variables to the change.Basically a 17 should help your hole shot but the rest is pretty much a gamble.My guess is less top end could be more sensitive to ventilation(cavitation).It appears there are no Turning point props for your Force.
I would keep your present prop and perhaps have a prop shop drop the pitch a little I think they can do 2". This would add about 300 or 400 rpm and some hole shot.Perhaps 1" would save most of te top end and help the hole shot.