what prop. should I try (140 Johnson/V6)

Jim Robbins

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, I now have a 15.5' fg Doral boat and 1985 Johnson 140HP with a V6 lower end. I go out on Lake Huron to fish and I have a 9.9 Evinrude kicker motor for trolling. Now I would like to know what propeller to try with this motor.
I do not go WOT too much bouncing, I would like to have my boat move smoothly forward when put into gear *Not a quick fast jolt movement forward that I have now. I find that the prop on the motor now makes the bow rides up too high, even when trim is all the way down and the boat is up on plane.
(The 1st. motor on this boat was a 1982 Evinrude 140 - V4 with a 13" X 19" prop. and the new motor I bought has a V6 (I did not know this?) and a ??? prop.)
What is a slower prop. for my motor? What is the slowest / smallest for this V6 motor? Any other ideas!
Is there a prop that is more fuel efficent that I should try?
Any and all help is great and I thank-you!

rndn

Commander
Re: what prop. should I try (140 Johnson/V6)

That's a lot of motor for a 15.5 footer. It may just be that big engine on the back that is keeping the bow up in the air. What is the maximum HP rating for your boat?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: what prop. should I try (140 Johnson/V6)

The 6 is close to 100 lbs heavier than your old motor.Thats probably your bow rise problem.The jolt may be too high an idle ,should be about 750.
Also if it has a really high pitch prop it might lurch a little.
you need to select a prop based on the present prop and the max rpm and speed.Motor needs to operate within its max wot rpm.It also would be good to optimize your setup,motor vertical height,
prop in good condition.motor in good tune and weight distribution.With that brute on the back you may need something like smart tabs to get on plane easier.