What prop do I use on a regal lsr 1800 dti Deisel

Squeakyneil

Recruit
Hi there guys I’m new to the group. Any advise on a prop size for my regal 1800 lsr 1.7 dti . The prop on her when I bought it was the wrong one and I’m still trying to fine tune it .

alldodge

Staff member
Off hand wouldn't know. If you tell us are you getting less, more and max listed WOT RPM?
What pitch is on it now?
What speed at WOT?

Squeakyneil

Recruit
Iv got it down to a 17 pitch 3 blade stainless . But it’s slow on getting on the plane and does about 30 mph . Not sure if this is the right performance for the boat . I know it’s a turbo diesel but apparently theses boats go well . But I’m not convinced . Thanks for the help guys

briangcc

Commander
You might wanna peruse this thread:

Then, once we have that info, we can better assist you. Without that info....who the heck knows if you're lugging the motor and if so by how much you need to drop pitch???

Best WAG right now is...you're lugging the motor still and probably need a further drop in pitch.

Squeakyneil

Recruit
the rev counter is not working but seems slow getting up on plane . It seems to get to 40 mph and that’s your lot . I’m just trying to find out if it’s the boats capacity . If I put a 16 pitch would it give less top end

alldodge

Staff member
Finding motor max WOT is 4000 to 4400 RPM
Get a laser Tach and put a piece of reflective tape on the crank pulley or damper. You need to be at the spec rpm at WOT

flashback

Captain
the rev counter is not working but seems slow getting up on plane . It seems to get to 40 mph and that’s your lot . I’m just trying to find out if it’s the boats capacity . If I put a 16 pitch would it give less top end
Not necessarily, but you really need to know what your RPM is at Wot.. MPH is secondary. No engine likes to be lugged and that one especially..

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I know an identical boat and it had a 19 and a 21” props for it. Did just around 40 or just over. They need a little load on them to spool up the turbo. Not without their issues these engines. Turbo issues are common. You either get a good one or a bad one. Most are bad, I’m afraid.

Squeakyneil

Recruit
I know an identical boat and it had a 19 and a 21” props for it. Did just around 40 or just over. They need a little load on them to spool up the turbo. Not without their issues these engines. Turbo issues are common. You either get a good one or a bad one. Most are bad, I’m afraid.
What was the overall performance on the the one you know . Not had a diesel one before but seems quiet slow . I’m thinking now could there be somthing wrong with the turbo . What’s your thoughts

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
What was the overall performance on the the one you know . Not had a diesel one before but seems quiet slow . I’m thinking now could there be somthing wrong with the turbo . What’s your thoughts
Did just about 40 gps. Or occasionally a touch over. Was every bit as quick or quicker than some 3.0 versions. Very fast hull that regal stepped hull.