What position for the Shift Shaft?

HeadnSouth

Seaman
98 Alpha 1 Gen II

Shifter is in F and the shoe is in the 12 o'clock position to line up with the shaft. The upper shaft 12 o'clock is F, 11 o'clock is N and 10 o'clock is R. Prop is locked in the CW position.

Now I have no reverse?
What did I screw up?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What position for the Shift Shaft?

The slide on the cable and the roller on the shift shaft may have come apart when you put the drive back on.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

98 Alpha 1 Gen II

Shifter is in F and the shoe is in the 12 o'clock position to line up with the shaft. The upper shaft 12 o'clock is F, 11 o'clock is N and 10 o'clock is R. Prop is locked in the CW position.

Now I have no reverse?
What did I screw up?

Correct me if I am wrong, but with the shifter in "F", the prop should be locked in the CCW direction.....

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Did you split the driveshaft (upper) housing from the gearhousing (lower)? If not Don +

HeadnSouth

Seaman

Did you split the driveshaft (upper) housing from the gearhousing (lower)? If not Don +

Yes, and I did confirm that the slide and roller are in the correct position. But I'm going to check it again.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

If the prop locks CW then you are in reverse so the following should get you going:

If you split the outdrive and the shifter moves freely back and forth and it does not shift, or stays in one gear it is likely that you lost (or it is bent) the 1” stainless steel washer that goes under the intermediate shift shaft and allowed the top of the I shift shaft to drop down out of the coupler on the bottom of the upper shift shaft. To check take a look. The top of the intermediate ss should be solidly locked into the bottom of the upper ss.

If you split the outdrive and the control handle jams when you pull it back and it is stuck in reverse, then the gearhousing was in reverse when you put it back together rather than forward and the intermediate shift shaft went onto the lower shift shaft “off a spline”.

Fix: drop the lower, rotate the lower ss (small splined shaft in front) all the way clockwise (forward gear), make sure the washer (1" stainless steel) is in place, rotate the prop CCW until it locks and hold tension with a bungee to keep it locked in forward. Make sure the control is in forward and the bottom of the upper shift shaft is pointed straight and the top of the i ss is pointed straight ahead. If you need to turn the verticle driveshaft a little to get the splines to line up, turn the prop CCW only. Make sure the little quad ring is in place in the oil passage. Bolt it back together.

HeadnSouth

Seaman

Thanks for a detailed explanation. You rock!
No jamming and nothing bent or missing. Shoe is also lined up.

I maybe off on the spline.
I pulled the splined SS and tried different positions with no luck but haven't had a whole lot of time to work on it. I take it the proper alignment is 12 o'clock is forward prop locked CCW, 11 is neutral and 10 is rev prop locked CW.

I'm thinking that it maybe a shift cable adjustment issue. Thoughts?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Stop!
what work did you do in this GEN II drive ."I pulled the splined SS and tried different positions "
Bad idea. Considering you dont have the spline that an Alpha does.So do you have the Alpha1 or the Alpha GEN II?
Pulling the shift shaft improperly will lead you to disassemble the lower unit to get it corrected.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Is your drive currently off???

Please post pictures to clear this all up...easiest way.

Also...What manual are you using? (Specifically)

HeadnSouth

Seaman

I'm using a merc manual #14.
I'll double check the serial # on the OD but it should be a Alpha 1 gen 2

Attachments

• Outdrive 00_resize.jpg
    Outdrive 00_resize.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

That is the GEN II , shoe at 12, F,prop locks CCW, 11 N, 10 R, prop locks CW. You have to have that first.
control box in fwd to line up the shoes, install and test shifting.

HeadnSouth

Seaman

It turned out to be a shift cable adjustment. Reinstalled and had the same issue. Adjusted the cable and bam! Reverse! :)

Thanks for all info and in depth concise procedures and links.
You guys rock!