What plywood for seat cushions?

Gamalot

Seaman Apprentice
I have to replace the plywood and get my CC seat cushion reupholstered.

Can I use 3/4" PT ply wood or must it be a marine grade of ply in this situation.

Gary

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: What plywood for seat cushions?

I would just use regular exterior grade plywood and seal it before assembly. It will outlive the boat.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the above answer is correct.....exterior grade 1/2 inch ply.

seal it somehow.....paint at the very least....use stanless steel staples for the uph

ScottinAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

I used good old 1/2 inch exterior grade plywood. Sealed it with marine varnish, and it should live another 30 years

Gamalot

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. I will use the 3/4 inch like what was there because of the 40 inch length and spread between supports but the exterior grade ply, sealed with a couple good coats of varnish should out last the new seat cover any way.

That is truthfully funny, B.O.A.T. = Bring Out Another Thousand.

Gary

pinellas50

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just re did one of my cushions. I used 1/2" exterior as mentioned above. I sealed it using an epoxy resin I got from West Marine. I also got the stainless steel staples from West Marine.

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Talked with a upholstry freind of mine a few days ago about my seats, and he told me to get a sheet of 3/8" plastic and start cutting. Thanks, Steven

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Talked with a upholstry freind of mine a few days ago about my seats, and he told me to get a sheet of 3/8" plastic and start cutting. Thanks, Steven

ask your friend how to staple the vinyl to the plastic... I want to know if this can be done....and what kind of plastic does he mean...I have my aft seats to re -do...I would rather use plastic than wood if I can...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

ask your friend how to staple the vinyl to the plastic... I want to know if this can be done....and what kind of plastic does he mean...I have my aft seats to re -do...I would rather use plastic than wood if I can...

I have an electric staple gun and plastic is no challenge for it with ss staples..... it will even drive a staple into thin body metal because my son used it to attach a new top on his vw camper bus.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Most of the new seats use plastic now.
It will be much more expensive than the plywood though.

The last ones i built i used the exterior grade plywood and painted it with 3 coats of gloss white Rustoleum...turned out looking good and was well sealed.

45Auto

Commander

I had a 1996 Bayliner. Factory painted seat cushion plywood and side panel plywood rotted away in 2000. I replaced it with exterior plywood totally sealed with 2 coats of Minwax Spar Varnish, about $10 from Home Depot. When I sold the boat 7 years later in 2007 all of the replaced wood still looked brand new.

oldjeep

Admiral

It can be done, the newer bayliners have plastic seat bases rather than plywood. When mine got broke by someone standing on an open lounger I took the replacement bottom to an upholstry shop where they had a really good air stapler.

P6280171.JPG

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It can be done, the newer bayliners have plastic seat bases rather than plywood. When mine got broke by someone standing on an open lounger I took the replacement bottom to an upholstry shop where they had a really good air stapler.

P6280171.JPG
So much for plastic seat bases. I have to replace a couple of mine & I'll stick with plywood, thank you. Bayliner should offer a disclaimer, "Considering the fact that we now make our seat bases out of cheap plastic, don't sit down too hard on the seats, or stand on them"!

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

So much for plastic seat bases. I have to replace a couple of mine & I'll stick with plywood, thank you. Bayliner should offer a disclaimer, "Considering the fact that we now make our seat bases out of cheap plastic, don't sit down too hard on the seats, or stand on them"!

Looking at the seat in the above pic, it is nowhere near 3/8" thick. I am not sure if you will be able to break a 3/8" thick piece of plastic if that is what you use. My buddy uses a pneumatic stapler with SS staples as meantion in previous threads. Although the wood may be "sealed" before it is covered, every hole that a staple makes breaks the seal. Thanks, Steven

Surfer Dave

Seaman Apprentice

what I've done is 3/4" marine plywood and sealed it with 2 coats of resin, that was 14 years ago and they are like brand new today, spend the little extra money for the marine plywood, there is a reason it's called marine plywood and not exterior plywood.

oldjeep

Admiral

Bah - Lounger was laid out flat and a 200+ lb guy stood on the end of it. If the base had been wood it would have ripped the brackets out of it or snapped something else. You can't support that kind of weigh cantelievered out that far from the base.

freeisforme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I took a fishing trip with a buddy and his new boat, it's got only two seats, one facing forward towards the helm, and the second facing rearward behind the helm seat, the seat and cushion double as a live well lid. The seat was about 24" wide by 18" or so and the base was made of Starboard, with a Plexiglass or Lexan live well lid just below. The ride was rough to say the least in rough seas, the boat was brand new and by far not an entry level boat. I'm not sure what he paid for it but I do know it was well upwards of $200K, (A 31' Offshore CC). The seat cracked on one hard wave under my weight. It was 3/4" thick. If the upholstery wasn't glued and stapled to it, it wouldn't have stayed in place. I weight 300 lbs and am well over 6' tall and have seats fail in rough seas before, I even had an aluminum pedestal base shatter. I don't see why they even build a boat that can't take the weight of a big man. Looking at most of the guys out fishing, there certainly seems to be just as many big and tall guys out here as any one else. I test drove a brand new jet boat at a boat show a few years ago, the salesman pretty much directed the test drive route, we pushed it through some light breakers and about a 1/4 mile out the seat base under me exploded. We stopped, swapped the seat and continued, the second seat did the same. I gave up and let the salesman drive it back, I sat on the molded in rear bench seat. Both upper seat bases were made of cast aluminum, both shattered in 10 or more pieces. This was a new boat with brand name seating. Right on the bottom of each seat was a label stating that the max weight of each seat was 170lbs. I guess they built those for kids, I was 15 the last time I was that size. Needless to say they didn't make a sale.

The manufacturer made good on the seat, but the replacement came with a warning not to let anyone over 170lbs sit on it or the back to back, which is the only seating in the boat.

My boats all have plywood seats, I never had one explode under me either. A good quality exterior plywood base, well painted or coated in resin and stapled with stainless staples will out last the plastic seats any day.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

spend the little extra money for the marine plywood, there is a reason it's called marine plywood and not exterior plywood.

marine plywood will give absolutely no benefit in this situation....none....nada.....not a day longer.

dont waste the money.