What performance can be expected from this prop change?

Jgcrock99

Seaman
Good afternoon,
Being honest, I'm just trying to do a cheap prop change and had a question. I have a 4.3 mercruiser lx in a 95 Chaparral 1930 sst. The prop on the boat when I bought it is a 14.25x21p black max aluminum. Ran well but has reached the end of its life. I'm currently running a 23p but it's only good for about 3 people kn the boat. I want a stainless but have a hard time spending 400+ on a new prop for a 30yo boat. Found a stainless on ebay that is a 13.5x22p and looks to be in good condition. I know there are many factors that impact performance when changing props like 200 revs per inch of pitch approximately, stainless vs aluminum with flex, etc. Curious what I could expect from a change from 14.25x21p aluminum to a 13.5x22p ss. I can hit slightly above wot with the 21p, about 4900-5000. Thank you.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Being that the Props are not likely the same Brand or Model, and different Diameter, not to mention Rake and/or Cupping, it is not an Apples to Apples Equation. A 3/4" change in Diameter, leads me to think that 22 is not a Prop for the Mercrusier

Jgcrock99

Seaman
Being that the Props are not likely the same Brand or Model, and different Diameter, not to mention Rake and/or Cupping, it is not an Apples to Apples Equation. A 3/4" change in Diameter, leads me to think that 22 is not a Prop for the Mercrusier
Thank you. Ended up just getting a new turning point 14.25x21p that was on sale. I've been satisfied running aluminum so far with my setup I'll just let it ride. I want stainless but for what I do it's not really necessary. I also take the boat to different lakes I'm not familiar with from time to time so may as well save my lower unit should something happen

cyclops222

Ensign
Lower unit destruction tests have POSITIVELY proved that a hard hit with either metal DESTROYS the lower units. Tests were done WAY BACK in time by Kiekaufer / Mercury company. On a concrete wall below the surface. At normal cruising speeds.

cyclops222

Ensign
SOOOOO
Buy and use ANY prop that you feel would do MORE of what you want from it. Speed Power out of a dead stop. Mileage.
Enjoy (y)(y)(y)(y)
Do call the prop company to find out the EFFICIENCY of the prop before buying.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I ran a sterndrive boat on a shallow bay. When accelerating the prop would often drag thru the silt and mud. It would rip up an alum prop on every trip, but had no effect on a SS prop. I got many seasons out of the SS prop, w/o damage.

if you do not have this issue, an alum prop works just fine, especially Turning Point Hustler props, at least in my opinion.

One more thing. The bay I boat on has no rocks or hard stuff at all. Rocks or hard stuff + SS props can often lead to gearcase damage.