What Oil do you use?

Salmon Tub

Seaman Apprentice
For your Nissan/Tohatsu 2 strokes, what brand oil do you use? Anyone use synthetic oil?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: What Oil do you use?

Penzoil makes a synthetic.Though i have read that it is not a true synthetic it works superior to regular 2 stroke oils.Charlie

45_red

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Quicksilver and Suzuki(Bulk)They seem about the same.

rbruce63

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use Johnson XD25 in my 1969 Chrysler and I feel that my motor is drinking the finest Champagne. <br /><br />Don't be mislead by the age of my motor. It was bought by my father but it was used only a few times and the put to storage. It probably was run using BIA approved motor oil or SAE 30 and all of the sudden jumped to TCW-3!<br /><br />But objectively speaking, I can't tell the difference between Pennzoil, Texaco, Shell Nautilus and this expensive but highly regarded lubricating fluid by Johnson/Evinrude which claims to have 25% more additives than approved NMMA TCW-3 motor oil. Truth in advertising or not I wouldn't expect Bombardier to expand its customer base by burning its engines with subpar motor oil.<br /><br />I would go by the recommendation of your manufacturer and I would spend as much as I can in this fluid if this meant buying the manfucaturer recommended TCW-3 and having to skip on the newest fishing lure. Two strokes do not have pressure lubrication and therefore, a good fluid is crucial for separating metal from metal on top of that the fluid has to be burnt leaving little or no trace and whatever is left of the combustion process has to be assimilated by nature. Therefore, certified NMMA TCW-3 homologated by the manufacturer is the way to go!

LubeDude

Admiral

I agree with sloopy, if you want the best! Ive never seen anything perform as well as Amsoil! Ive used it for years with excelent results!<br /><br />Amsoil is now recomending that you use the injector oil (AIO) either as an injector oil or a pre mix at 50:1! The S2000 Racing oil should only be used in racing or WOT aplications! Bass boats that are run mostly at WOT benifit from the racing also! The oil will not burn off in trolling and excesive idlinIve had excelent results in the smaller outboards while trolling and WOT with the 100:1!<br /><br />LubeDude

walleyehed

Admiral

rbruce63, great oil you're using....I've got many gallons of that behind me, and will never bad-mouth it, but if you want to use total synthetic, Sloopy has linked ya to a top brand there. More and more are using it all the time, and it speaks for itself in history...

rbruce63

Petty Officer 1st Class

Walleyehead:<br /><br />I use synthetic lubricant in my GMC Jimmy but adhere to the manufacturer recommendation of 3 months or 5,000 kilometers in ultra severe conditions or 6 months and 10,000 kilometers in severe conditions. <br /><br />In Europe Mercedes and Volkswagen claim that with synthetic lubricants and newer and improved engine engineering you can go up to 24 months or 25,000 kilometers without an oil change! Perhaps my Vortec 4.3 will outlast the transmission and rear end drive, but I have no other means to prove it other than with motor oil analysis and a good interpreter.<br /><br />Synthetics were invented and used by the German Army in the Russian campaign to impede that the oil in their tanks to become gelly during the winter, even with synthetic lubricants, they couldn't win as their logistics were insufficient and the Russians fought with their lives.<br /><br />But in terms of two stroke lubrication I have no other means to assess the importance of synthetics other than what the manufacturer says. If they could break down faster after being expelled from the motor and cling better to the metal parts of the engine than conventional motor oil that would be the real success of the synthetics. But I will only trust the results from an independent laboratory that will do the tests in a scientific manner.<br /><br />And if this independent laboratory wants to buy my 69 Chrysler to make the tests, then you can contact me here.

walleyehed

Admiral

rbruce63, maybe you misunderstood what I was saying....XD-25 IS my oil of choice and IS partial synthetic. Nothing wrong with Amsoil, it's been used in Race engines for years and is considered Top-notch in that category. The problem has been that it is not affordable compared to Dino oils, but that's not the case anymore, and I think some people have come up with the silly notion that synthetics "don't work" in our 2-strokes, and that simply isn't the case. Some are blended for more severe use, while others are specifically blended for pre-mix, or oil-injection on OUTBOARDS, not just one oil for every use.<br /> I'm currently trying Evinrude Ficht Ram oil that has even higher synthetic base quantities, and is labled for use in pre-mix and injection systems-same as XD-25 with a higher synthetic base.. :)