What makes someone a media expert?

Tinkrrr

Seaman Apprentice
I'm sitting here listening to some wanker expound to some TV newsreader, whose intelligence rivals that of my dog, on the great topics of terrorism etc. In case "whose" lacks specificity, let it apply to either or both.<br /><br />Needless to say, although it's not stated in the interview, the wanker seems like a former medium level nobody who once walked past a building which had some people in it who received government mail from some of the countries where naughty things sometimes happen. <br /><br />He reminds me of the post-war joke about people who arrived here from Europe. As they came off the ship, they announced: "Yes, I am chichuaha, but in Germany I was an Alsatian!".<br /><br />The only people who appear on TV on "terrorism" (great word - meaningless term) are:<br /><br />- politicians and their clones beating their own drum<br />- "terrorists" or other lunatics and nutcases with access to a video camera and credulous TV stations<br />- "terrorism" experts whose credentials are never demonstrated and which don't exist, because the people who are actually even remotely involved in anything vaguely important aren't available for TV, or other public statemennts.<br /><br />A long, long time ago I had a security clearance that still hasn't been heard of publicly. I did some boring routine things that people don't realise happen on a daily basis in every Western country, not that they're in the least exciting or even very interesting except they get you out of the office. <br /><br />The "experts" I see yapping on the TV are probably about as well informed as I was. Which is to say, they know nothing. <br /><br />Except how to promote themselves. <br /><br />Funny how so many of them have "security" companies and the like, all chasing work.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What makes someone a media expert?

nah, a media expert is someone who can talk without thinking :D

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I read an interesting article about that not to long ago...Journalists keep lists of "experts" and when they have a story & want a quote, they look up the subject & start dialing. "Hey Tink, got a story about terrorism in the outback, can you give me a quote?" Tinkrrr makes up some BS, or gives a general statement that can't be disputed, "Sure, terrorism in the outback is a terrible thing, we should try to avoid it where ever possible."<br /><br />Once you get on with one of 'em, they refer you around. So pick a story in paper or magazine, see who gets quoted, look for stories about the same issue in other rags, you'll see the same "experts" crop up. Or if the WSJ has a section on "terrorism" with stories by 5 different writers, it's possible all 5 will have different quotes from the same "expert." Get in enough articles pretty soon they're calling you for TV interviews, local channels at first, then PBS, with luck you can work up to network status.<br /><br />What you can do is, you join civic organizations, like the Rotary Club or Chamber of Commerce, or maybe you publish in a professional journal, or get to know faculty members at local university. Nearly as I can tell, anybody can be an expert on just about anything.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Hey! What's a guy to do to get some high media ratings these days, commercials contracts don't just pop up out of the wood work ya know, and besides we are an entertainment media who just also happens to edit the news according to the political inclinations that seems to be the most popular flavor. :D

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Can we quote you on that, Vlad?

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Media Expert..... One who watches too much television? Maybe one who is educated beyond their intelligence?<br /><br />I have always though instead of broadcasting on television news programs how the US (and any other country hit hard by terrorists) are in such a state of woe over the attacks they should show nothing but the United States citizens jokes about the terrorists and their leaders, and publicise people like us laughing at the terrorists. Maybe if we tell them they are stupid they would listen?<br /><br />Would this idea make me a media expert?

D

DJ

citizens jokes about the terrorists and their leaders, and publicise people like us laughing at the terrorists. Maybe if we tell them they are stupid they would listen?<br />
1. The American public (not iboats members) is not smart enought to pull that off. Katrina taught us that.<br /><br />2. NO, it would not. W'eve already "glorified" the victims. That's exactly what they do with their marters. They see it as a wash.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I dont worry about the media experts. however the fact that Jim Cantore is in nags Head NC tonight is worrisome. its about 12 miles from my house.