What make and HP

Chester

Recruit
I am looking at purchasing a new boat and motor and I have figured out which boat I want but the motors are confusing. The dealer carries Suzuki, Yamaha, Mercury, and Evinrude. I am looking at either a 115 or slightly larger motor in a 4 stroke. <br />Please help with the confusion.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What make and HP

I don't think that there is any one right answer, just many opinions based on different experiences. All these companies make good products.<br /><br />As a new member, you should take some time and research the many postings here that deal with similar past discussions.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Chester.<br /><br />I agree with Lark40. The Suzi, Yammy and Merc are all good engines. Evinrude does not offer a 115 4 stroke.<br /><br />I would favor the Suzi because it is a 1.7 liter and the Yammy/Merc is a 1.2 liter. Cubic inches mean torque so I would expect the Suzi 115 horses to be stronger than the Yammy/Merc 115 horses, at least in hole shot.<br /><br />Weight is about the same.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

Chester

Recruit

Thanks Lark for you reply. I did some searching and to some extent I guess it is like purchasing a Ford or a Chevy but how much HP is enough. I am looking at a boat that is 18'6" and weighs 1700lbs. I have seen anything from a 90Hp to 150Hp on the boat. What I want to know is how much difference should there be in speed and fuel consumption. <br /><br />Thanks,

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi again, Chester.<br /><br />If you want to go over 115hp in a 4 stroke you have 2 choices: Suzi DF140 or Honda BF130. The displacement on both is 2.2 liters but the Honda weighs over 500lb and the Suzi around 415.<br /><br />Almost any modern boat will perform well with anything over 70% of the rated max hp.<br /><br />The HP rating on the boat should guide you from there.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)