What lubricant to use on Starter's bendix and flywheel teeth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anple

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello Everyone,
Just a stupid question if I could use Corrosion Inhibitor to lubricate the starter's bendix and flywheel's teeth? Thanks! - Anthony:confused:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What lubricant to use on Starter's bendix and flywheel teeth?

No. WD-40 is not a lubricant. I have always used Singer machine oil, and only a very light coat of that.

anple

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks JB. I was stupid to spray some CRC Marine Corrosion Inhibitor onto the flywheel teeth. The starter engaged the flywheel but it could only crank a few turns not enough to fire up. How do I go about cleaning up? Thanks.

shaun burgess

Recruit

Hi
I have a 40hp force 1995 I used to spray Inox all round the motor but now i will not spray near the bezel of starter motor. Ended up having to buy new bezel as the lubricant stuffed up old one.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Don't spray any lube on the bendix itself.The shaft that the bendix rides on could use a small amount of lithium grease.The bendix has rubber in it and will be useless if you get it greasy.
If the starter isin't turning the motor you might have other problems.
Load test the battery.Make sure the connections are clean/tight.Then do a compression test.
Do that and get bacj to us with the results.Jerry

anple

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks JerryJerry05. I always got my motor started and fired up good before I sprayed CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor onto the flywheel teeth. Now the starter engaged the flywheel teeth and could only crank a few turns then disengage and shut off. I'm not sure if the Corrosion Inhibitor I sprayed was the cause of it was something else. Thanks for your helps! - Anthony

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

Flywheel teeth do not need lube neither does the starter gear. Only the shaft. You'll just make a mess when that stuff starts spinning with grease or oil on it.

cocotower

Seaman Apprentice

Flywheel teeth do not need lube neither does the starter gear. Only the shaft. You'll just make a mess when that stuff starts spinning with grease or oil on it.

Exactly. You might even have a few of your friends or kids standing 10 feet away while you say Watch This... I'm going to crank her up now... I just rebuilt the starter and greased her up a bit... she should crank smoother... here we go...

Then you'll see oil sling off the flywheel and get all over the boat, people's clothes, your drink, etc.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Post is a year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.