What kinda oil....

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: What kinda oil....

Use a synthetic for the drive unit.It will give you the best protection for a little more money.Charlie

ZmOz

Captain

Yeah, I wouldn't use anything but synthetic in an outdrive or lower unit. It uses so little lube there's no reason not to...

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Could you be more specific? I currently am using the high performance quicksilver stuff. Dose quicksilver make the synthetic stuff also? If not...who does?

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what weight should I use? any recommendations on a brand?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I get mine at West marine or boaters world ,Lubrimatic.Walmart carries Penzoil.The weight of the sterndrive oil is pretty standard so you dont have to pick one.Charlie

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Yes thats the stuff.The label looks different but thats the stuff.Walmart carries the penzoil in a yellow container for a lot less money.Charlie

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

and the penzoil stuff is just as good?? or should I stick to what WestMarine carries?<br /><br />the penzoil it's called Lower Unit oil? i would assume its in the marine section?<br /><br />sorry for the kinda stupid questions, just want to be sure i get the right stuff :D :D

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I have used both and find them to be equal quality.Walmart has a small marine section and sometimes carries lubrimatic.I have seen it in their auto dept as well so I usually check both.I also saw some in an Aid auto store.Stick with the synthetic and you cant go wrong.Charlie

Bondo

Staff member

captkid,<br /> I go to my local Parts House,+ buy either Mobil 1 75W 90...<br />Or Penzoil Full Syn. 75W90.........<br /><br />Both are Top Quality Full Syn. Oils.......<br /><br />There's Nothing Special about Marine Gear Oil.......<br />It Don't Need a Boat on the label..........<br /><br />QuickSilver sells a Syn. oil...<br />It Could be what you've got now, Tony.......<br />It'll say so on the bottle......<br />Same Stuff with a pretty colored Dye in it.......<br /><br />The 1s above are just a pale Amber....

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bondo thanks partner...<br /><br />I use Moble 1 in my explorer, so i will go pick up a few quarts of that..<br /><br />charlie, thank you also for the help!!<br /><br />kid

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ohhh.... so what about the oil for my Mercruiser 470, I would like to stick w/ Mobil 1... again what weight should I use? <br /><br />as always you all ROCK... <br /><br />anyone from Maine??

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, an oil post i didnt get involved in.
i wondered when you were gonna chime in ;) <br /><br />Lube what kinda oil should I use for my 470?

Schmoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The High Performance stuff is the synthetic version from Quicksilver. The Premium is the dino version. There have been some UOA's done on this oil and the Quicksilver lines have more additives in it to combat moisture. Your going to get moisture in the outdrive regardless if leaking or not.