What kind of speeds should I expect?

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 14' 1978 MFG superbass trihull with a '79 Johnson 25 seahorse. What kind of speed can I expect to get out of this boat? 15mph? 20mph?<br /><br />I took it out the other day and was only running on 1 cylinder and I was going 6mph. I'm wondering what to expect when I get the new power pack and fire on both cylinders. I think the prop is 9.25 x 11. Will this plane the boat?

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What kind of speeds should I expect?

UMMMM So- how long did you run it on one cylinder?

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not very long. I knew it was having an issue so we took it back home and ran the spark and compression tests. Thats when we discovered it had a bad power pack. Why?

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool. Thats a bit faster than I expected. Next week when I get the powerpack replaced I'll see exactly how close your estimate is :) Will probably be a little slower than that becuase I'm not exactly a small guy and neither is my co-rider. lol

timmathis

Lieutenant

I think you were about right 15-18 mph.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Going to try it out today. Just out of curiousity, hog long would 6 gallons of gas last at WOT. Sure this is theoretical and I don't plan on doing this, but I'm curious to know how much of a gas hog this engine is.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SeaHorse you are the man. We fixed the powerpack today and took it out on the water. Took the GPS with me and could get the boat up to 22mph. That is with 500 pounds between me and my cousin. Ran it for 16 miles and 1 hour and 20 minutes. GPS said the top speed was 24.7mph, but on average it was 21-22. But after getting it home we ran into what could be a problem. See my new thread at http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=28&t=036837