What kind of boat do I have? (take 2)

YESTERDAYS POSTING:
I've purchased a 19 ft. V-hull boat that has never been titled due to having always been on a private lake. Now that it has to be titled, I need to know what it is. There are no markings or labels on it other than a metal stamp on the transom to the left of the outboard motor which reads: 11-703692.
Can anyone out there tell me what this is?
Thanks,
Josh

TODAYS UPDATE: I've added pictures! Also, thanks to the link given to me by "jddenham's", I looked up my stamped # in the Manufacturers Identification Code (MIC) Database, but there were no results found, possibly just becuase the boat is too old. I did see a notation on the MIC page that implies that the # of all '72 + start with 3 letters which id the manufacturer. Mine is only #s but if that format still holds, then the "11" would be the maker and if it follows Vin format for cars, somewhere in the following #s would represent the year. Of the #s after the 11, the most likely its seems that would represent the year would be the 70. Also, from tons of pictures of different makes that I have scrolled through online, it seems my boat most resembles a couple of "WELLCRAFT" models I've seen. Possibly a 1970 Wellcraft??? What do you think?

Attachments

• boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 0
  • boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 0

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What kind of boat do I have? (take 2)

Don't know but if your right it is in very good shape for a 1970. Good buy.

Thanks PhatboyC. I know that the motor is a '73 (great compression still... pretty sure its been rebuilt at some point) and even though it could easily not be the original motor, I still believe the hull is of similar age. I got it as a fixer-upper for $450 because there was no interior at all...just bare plywood floor, no gas tank, and the motor wouldnt run because the carbs had to be rebuilt. Now that I have newly built the interior, put a 25 gal. tank, & rebuilt carbs, its a great running motor and good looking hull inside and out. Now I need to get it titled but I dont know for sure what to title it as. lol.

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

Would Texas allow you to title it as a homemade? I know that's a joke with a fiberglass boat. But, it's just a thought. Maybe you could find a title from a junk boat of the same size and change the numbers on yours?

Thats very creative thinking of you "Caveman Charlie," but if I can't find out for sure what it is from the hull #, I'm just going to give it my best guess and tell the title office that's what it is. At the moment my best guess is still a '70 Wellcraft. If the title office somehow discovers a discrepency, then great....at least then maybe they can tell me for sure what it is. If not, well then its just gonna be a '70 Wellcraft for the rest of its life.

MikDee

Banned

It looks to me like a older Winner, or Larson.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

did the boat have any registration numbers on it when you got it. they can find all the registration info from that. if not it is probably going to have to be registered homemade.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I had a boat registered in Texas and it sat unused for 20 years (12' Lowe Lake John). A crew came and built me an extremely well crafted barn in January of '05 in the most horrible of weather. As a thank you after he asked, I gave it to the crew chief......monetary awards went to the rest of the crew.....besides I (personally) cooked and fed them a delicious hot lunch daily which really helped their attitude. (Honey gets the bear. Grin)

He wanted to register it in Okla and put an OB on it. In short, Texas PWD had discarded my registration as it was so old. They said that I could re-register it with a sworn affadavit that it has not been used on public water during the non-registration period.

Those little numbers on the transom are what you use to register it. As stated, that is the hull number.

Maybe your state is benevolent also. I would not attempt to register something that is not accurate. In Texas they will either throw you out of the office (if they suspect something) or throw you in jail!

HTH

Mark

Is there an online database similar to the Manufacturers Identification Code (MIC) Database, but for older boats?