What is this hose....

mia248vista

Seaman Apprentice
On my 2003 FW Vista 248 w/ 5.0 GXi-B (MPI) engine

I was troubleshooting a problem on my boat when I saw I have a black hose in the bilge right smack under the center of the engine. The hose is black and has a 45 degree cut on it and guess it is 3/8" thick. The other end runs towards the rear of the engine and is apparently mounted to something on the rear of the engine which i could not easily see. Does anyone have an idea what this hose is? Is this some overflow hose of some sort?

:confused::confused:

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What is this hose....

Sounds a lot like the speedometer pick up hose to me.

You getting water in the bildge from an unknown source when in the water? Chances are the hose is dissconnected from the transom plate and the watter is leaking in through the fitting. The hose just zip ties on the little brass fitting on the transom plate.

mia248vista

Seaman Apprentice

haven't noticed any water in the bilge when i have been out.

Assuming it is the speedo, one end would be on the brass fitting on the transom where should the other end (the one under the engine) be?

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

well does your speedo work?

The one end connects to the transom fitting and the other end runs all the way to the back of the speedometer.

My 1st thought was speedo if its a thin black flexible hose.....let me keep thinking what else it could be.

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

OH HELL

that sounds like the OIL EASY DRAINER. It dead ends in the bildge and is connected to the oil pan. It usually should pull out with the drain plug and then it has its own screw in plug. Youd use a pump to rapidly remove your motor oil......Thats the only black hose that would be dead smack in the middle of the bottom of the motor!

mia248vista

Seaman Apprentice

Bayliner,

The speedo on my engine has its days. Sometimes it does other times it doesn't work. I do not remember if last time out it was working. The end that is lying on the bilge floor is the one with a cut of 45 degrees and it goes all the way to the back of the engine and terminates somewhere back there.

thanks for you help thus far

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

HMMM..... well then it cant be the oil drain as oil would be leaking out of it.

Usually that hose is like 1/2 inch any way.

I really dont know....But this atleast rules out these two hoses possibly. Can you post a pic that could help a lot in these situations.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's a drain and vent hose for the flywheel cover. Look on the starboard lower corner of the cover.