What is this hole for?

mrbuckaro

Cadet
HI Yall. 1988 125 #1251x8c,running well. On the left bottom of the exhaust manifold is a smooth bore hole about 5/8 dia. right below that is a 5/8 pipe plug, what am I looking at.? I have a black thermoswitch held into the head by a snapring, my manual says it should be changed to a red one,can not find one anywhere. I have no thermostat, dealer says I do not need one in FL. Gulf h2o temp is 86 degrees. TIP, I cut two pieces of foam rubber to fit around powerhead and leg, put it in when working on motor, droped screws, ect, wont fall dowm the leg.Big THANKS to all who reply.

rottenray6402

Ensign
Re: What is this hole for?

I can't help on the hole question but I wanted to thank you for the foam rubber tip. I have spent a lot of time retrieving spark plugs, etc. from down there.

cpj

Ensign
Re: What is this hole for?

No help here on the hole, but you need a thermostat REGARDLESS of your local water temp.If you didnt need the thermostat,the manufacturer wouldnt have installed one to begin with.Search this forum on the subject of thermostats and you will find that most folks say that you need one.BTW, welcome to I boats.<br />PS I owe you a beer for the foam rubber tip. :D