What is the year, make, and model of this boat?!

King Tay

Recruit
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the boating community and I've always wanted to be a boat owner. I have a boat sitting in my backyard that a friend gifted to me that was sitting in his backyard and I thought I could slowly fix it up. The boat doesn't have a HUI number or any decals inside or outside of the boat. I've been doing some research and I think it's a hydra sport but I could be wrong. Anywho if there is anyone in this boating community that could help me figure out what kind of boat this is please let me know. Thank you. 20211231_122930.jpg20211231_122905.jpg20211228_170316.jpg

Attachments

• 20211228_170312.jpg
    20211228_170312.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 20
  • 20211228_170309.jpg
    20211228_170309.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 19
  • 20211231_122755.jpg
    20211231_122755.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 21

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard:

Is there a HIN (Hull Identification Number) stamped into the stern? It should be close to the rub rail. The first letters would be the MIC code to tell you the manufacturer.

Unless that's not a US made boat.

King Tay

Recruit
Welcome aboard:

Is there a HIN (Hull Identification Number) stamped into the stern? It should be close to the rub rail. The first letters would be the MIC code to tell you the manufacturer.

Unless that's not a US made boat.
No, I can see where there was a HIN there but it looks like it was removed or fell off.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Did the previous owner have a pink slip or registration? What about the trailer?

King Tay

Recruit
Did the previous owner have a pink slip or registration? What about the trailer?
No, it was left in his backyard when he purchased his house. It was already on the trailer but the boat was just abandoned in his backyard from what I was told.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
It may be very difficult to register the boat or trailer without the paperwork that shows you are the legal owner. Personally, I would not spend any money or any time on the boat until you can get that worked out.

RBoyd1971

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Where I'm from, you get the game and fish folks to come inspect boats without serial numbers or HIN numbers, and if it's not stolen, they assign it a number, then you can register it. I've done two that way

roffey

Commander
I would think the HIN would be stamped into the hull and is not removable with out a grinder and that would sure send up red flags...

My 2 cents are a Bayliner..

shrew

Lieutenant
A HIN has been required to be permanently affixed to boats in the US since November 1, 1972.
That boat is definitely newer than late 1972.
The HIN should be stamped into the gelcoat on the Starboard side of the Transom.
The entire reason so many places title vehicles and vessels is to prove who legally owns the vehicle or vessel. A Bill of Sale only transfers ownership, but alone doesn't establish that the seller is the legal ower.
The states (US) which don't have titles usually use the registration like a title.
If you are in a Title state, you will need the title signed over. If you are not in a title state, you will usually need the registration signed over.
You should really check with the state where you intend to register the boat to determine what they will require to legally assume ownership and register.

That is definitely NOT a Bayliner. Bayliner made only one boat that looked like in the Trophy line. They made it for many years, but that isn't it.

RBoyd1971

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In Mississippi all you need is a bill of sale to prove ownership. In Louisiana, you need a title. Every state is a little different. In Mississippi, you don't have to even register a boat to use it if you don't put a motor on it. I say that, in reference to your statement about registration proving ownership. They ask that you report to the registrar department when a boat is sold, but nothing is signed over.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
That boat is at best a project requiring a minimum of $8000 AND 2 years of your life dumped into it to be usable

It has been stripped of all useable/sellable parts

briangcc

Commander
Kinda has the lines of an older Striper boat...like let's say late 80's to mid 90's. Someone went through some trouble to remove the HIN. I'd proceed with caution until ownership is clearly in your name.

Any ghosting on either side of the hull that might give you a clue as to the previous registration? How about on the radio as I see it has an antenna? Anything stamped there with the reg numbers? Any old paperwork left in a compartment?

RBoyd1971

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It does seem to be a lot of funny business going on with the boat and it's numbers and registration etc. Out of curiosity, does the floor and transome appear to be rotted out and unusable in it's current state?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Not a bayliner that I’m aware of. No idea what she is…but I’d defo say the windows are familiar to older rinker boats. Or similar.

King Tay

Recruit
Hey everyone thank you for all of your feedback. Just wanted to drop an update on this boat situation. I reached out to the Harbormaster here in D.C. which is also connected to our Metropolitan Police department. I told them how I came about the boat and gave the full story. They are coming out to inspect the boat and give me guidance from there. Hopefully, they can help figure out 1. If it's stolen or not. I'll be glad to return it to its owner if that's the case. 2. The year make and model. 3. If I'd be able to keep this project boat. Also, I see a few comments stating not to put any money into it until I find out, I'm no fool I definitely won't lol. Again Thank you for all of your feedback it has been very helpful.

King Tay

Recruit
It does seem to be a lot of funny business going on with the boat and it's numbers and registration etc. Out of curiosity, does the floor and transome appear to be rotted out and unusable in it's current state?
No the floor and transom appear to be in pretty good shape.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
No the floor and transom appear to be in pretty good shape.
how did you confirm that? short of a good $800 moisture meter that reads thru fiberglass or test drills, banging on the transom means nothing.