What is the weight of my boat?

vintage2

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1989 27 foot Sportcraft Sportfisherman with a single 7.4 L (454) Mercruiser I/O with an optional closed cooling system. This boat came with a 152 gallon fuel tank so I calculate my fuel weight at 988 lbs. (6.5 lbs. per gal is what we used when I was flying). I came across a couple of Sportcraft brochures with similar (no flybridge) 27' models which listed the weighs around 5500 lbs. There is a brochure for sale on ebay that shows a 27' Sportcraft Sportfisherman in 1986 with an inboard. Except for the different engine it looks just like my boat. The broachure says that it weighs approximately 5460 lbs. Should I put my boats weight at 5600 for the boat, +200 for the closed cooling system, + 990 lbs for the fuel, + 800 lbs for gear (life vests, fire extinguishers, rods, tackle box, tool box, etc)? That would put my boat at 7,590 lbs. I asked because my rear lift cable snapped the other day and the boat slid into the water from about 2 1/2 feet. No damage to the boat, just my pride, but the lift contractor says I may have overloaded the lift. It is an 8K lift. The lift manufacturer says I can use bigger cables which will increase capacity to 10K. Both lifts use the same motor. Lift was 8 years old in fresh waster. Comments

thumpar

Admiral
Boat weight is a hard one to figure sometimes. Most manufacturer stated weight doesn't take into consideration different engine configurations. Mine is rated at 3100lbs but it was a custom build and a 5.7 EFI and Bravo drive was added so it weighs alot more than that with fluids and gear. The only real way to know is to weight it. Do you have a trailer?

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer
An 8k lift should hold double that, just not safely. If your cable snapped at near it's rated load, that's not good. I would inspect all your cables closely. Maybe some corrosion present? I think lifting cables are rated at 1/4 to 1/2 their nominal tension strength.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Did you get a look at the area that broke. I'd suspect rust. It probably wouldn't hurt to replace the cables with ones of a higher rating.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Sport-Craft_Boats__270_Coastal_Sport_Fisherman__1989/bp/66b84690

wire rope or synthetic? breaking strength is usually 4X working strength.

most 8K lifts that I have been involved with use 5/16 type 304 stainless cables, most likely 7X19. many new ones are using dyneema straping.

if your using wire rope and you had any of the following, the rope needs to be replaced:
kinked wire
frayed wire
bird-nest
rust

if you are using synthetic and have any of the following, the rope needs to be replaced:
fraying
compressed or flatened
abrasion
uv damage

most cranes require rigging ropes to be inspected with every use and replaced every 1-2 years depending on type of service.

if your buying wire rope, avoid the stuff at the hardware store (its not rated for lifting), and the stuff at the local marinas is about 4X the cost. find your local crane rigging service.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
I would carefully inspect the cable if the cable failed due to deteriation there should clear evidence of that. If there is no clear evidence it could be possible the boat could be water logged and is way heavier than expected. You really need to know the boats actual weight to make a educated decision.

y2ksearay

Recruit
I have a 1987 with a 340 HP Mercruiser and it is supposed to weigh 5500 dry. I am restoring it. Can I ask what most Sportcraft owners use the forward below deck compartment just in front of the motor box for? Seems too big for a fish hold. Water from the cabin would drain right through it to the bilge too. It would be great if we could start a discussion on maintaining and restoring these boats.

agallant80

Commander
Depends on how much wet foam you have in the hull :)

Only real way is to get it weighted. Boats tend to gain weight over the years with all of the stuff we leave on them. Just for refrence I have 25 foot express cruiser with a 5.0 and the dry weight is 6,800 lbs with no gear or f

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have a 1987 with a 340 HP Mercruiser and it is supposed to weigh 5500 dry. I am restoring it. Can I ask what most Sportcraft owners use the forward below deck compartment just in front of the motor box for? Seems too big for a fish hold. Water from the cabin would drain right through it to the bilge too. It would be great if we could start a discussion on maintaining and restoring these boats.

There is more than one model of Sport-Craft boats. Without more info, it's awfully hard to even guess how much your boat weighs. We have 1987 ten models listed in the specs, take a look. http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Sport-Craft_Boats/bp/20br1460

If you looked around a bit, you will find we do have a Sport-Craft section, http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...rt-craft-boats with exactly what you asked for.

64osby

Admiral
y2k - this thread is pretty old. If you want info on your boat start a new thread. That way others can welcome you to iboats.

GA - even a mod got pulled into this one:eek:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
y2k - this thread is pretty old. If you want info on your boat start a new thread. That way others can welcome you to iboats.

GA - even a mod got pulled into this one:eek:

Not pulled in at all, 64. Since we don't have the red banner, I've been lienient of old topics and this one is only about 120 days. But it is about at the end of my personal rubber band. :D