what is the real name

armenk35

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hello there. i got a force 125 and what is the real name of the safty switch. thats the one that connects two yellow wires from the startor switch located on the left side of the starter if looking from inside the boat?

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: what is the real name

It is called the Neutral Interlock Switch. Its purpose is to prevent a person from starting the engine in gear and in the worst case scenario, at full throttle, run up the dock, onto shore and kill someone.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Any Mercury dealer should be able to get you one.It's not an item that usually goes bad so they might have to order it.Jerry

armenk35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well i tried ti start my motor but there was no starts at all. and than i took ou the two wires of the safty switsch connected it together and it started normaly. so it might be something else or it has to be the safty switch?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Before you go buying parts, look at the shift linkage right under the neutral interlock switch. There should be a metal tab that depresses the white button when in neutral. Because of the cable arrangement, it is quite common for these engines to be in neutral at the lower unit and the linkage will be off enough to not depress the button. The cure for this is to simply cycle the control handle from forward to reverse and back to neutral. With a really fussy engine you may need to do it a couple of times. If this is the case, watch it with the hood off and you will get a feel for proper position.

RE-connect the wires to the switch and depress the white button by hand. If the engine cramks, the switch is good, or if you use an ohm meter, zero ohms indicates a good switch--infinite ohms is bad.