what is the proper process/tool to chamfer ports?

buckwheat34

Seaman Apprentice
Cany you tell me what is the proper tool and process for chamfering ports on a rebored cylinder block? I'm working on the rebuild of a 1988 Force 50 that you see in my other post here. This is called out in the piston instructions I recieved with my new pistons. Checked FAQ's and could not find anything. Thanks, buckwheat34

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: what is the proper process/tool to chamfer ports?

A small jewelers file, a die sinker's file. a dremel with a small high speed or carbide bit.

you chamfer less than 1/16 inch, just enough to break the sharp edge.

Now, since it is all apart, why don't you consider porting it? Square thew ports for about 25% more area and pick up about 15 horsepower. Do both bypass (shown in photo) and exhaust.

Here is a photo showing before and after.

If you do it, use the triangular high speed Dremel bit for the aluminum and the straight carbide bit for the steel liner. Use plenty of cutting fluid and medium speed or the aluminum will gall and clog the bits. It does anyway, but not as bad and you can use a pushpin to clean them.

Attachments

• port.jpg
    port.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 4

buckwheat34

Seaman Apprentice

Now we're talkin. I'll get er done tomorrow while I'm waiting on the sealer I need to start assembly. Thanks for the thought Frank. This must be why you have all those stripes. buckwheat34

buckwheat34

Seaman Apprentice

Frank, from the photos it looks like you did the removal on the center two holes of each cylinder and little to no removal on the end holes. Is this correct or just an optical illusion in the photo? Thanks, buckwheat34

robert graham

Admiral

You can buy aset of those little jewelers files at Harbor Freight Tools for about $2. Better take your time and do it right so you don't snag a ring in one of those ports. Good Luck!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Because of the curve of the cylinder and because of the nature of end milling of the ports, the two end ports are actually larger than the center ones. I did square the edges closest to the center ports but the outside edges were not. So, it is part optical illusion and part not. If you look closely, you will see that in addition to squareing the ports I have also tapered the aluminum to ease gas flow. In essence, even though the piston blanks the lower edge of the port, the engine still "sees" a bigger hole.

Once you get in there, it will become clear. Work slowly and neatly. Pretend you are a dentist. It is easy to get the webs "sloppy" looking. It should take about 1 1/2-2 hours for each bypass and each exhaust. So figure 9-12 hours for the engine

Bypass ports should be streamline shaped (like an airplane wing) in cross section and can be thinned a bit but leave about 1/16 inch width inside the cylinder for the rings to ride upon. Exhaust ports should be triangular in cross section with the wide part inside the cylinder and tapering down into the exhaust chest. Leave them almost full width--that is, the width of the narrowest part--inside the cylinder.

Now, I prefer to leave the port webs intact and leave the exhaust a little wider than the bypass because they run hotter. HOWEVER: Since there is not too much danger of rings catching when the port is less than (I forget, I think 2/3) the diameter of the cylinder, you also have the option of completely removing the center web.

If you do the porting, you will find that not only does the engine generate more horsepower at full throttle, at partial throttle it will also use a little less fuel. Of course, at full throttle, generating more horsepower, you will use more.

BTW: I have a three cylinder engine ported this way and it has run for about 17 seasons with no ring catching and no other problems either.

The three cylinder engines have ports open for about 120 degrees and the crankpins are set 120 degrees apart so there is no open overlap. Thus, both bypass and exhaust ports can be modified.

For those that want to port a four cylinder engine, only port the bypass. Exhaust ports are open for about 120 degrees and crankpins are located 90 degrees apart for an open overlap of 30 degrees. Porting the exhaust increases blowback and actually reduces power to below stock levels

beckspop

Seaman

Wow, thanks for the tip! Frank as you know, I am also going through the fun of rebuilding a force and will follow this for sure.

buckwheat34

Seaman Apprentice

Frank, can you elaborate on a few questions some mechanics friends / people have raised to me around opening these ports as described above? Everyone has an opinion and I want to know the facts before I start. What are the facts around heating of the motor because of the modification? Are any other modifications required to support this change? Are there any other risk to the motor or systems based on this modification. Do you need to burn higher octain fuel to support the change. I'm ready to start doing mine in the morning and want to understand the risk. Also, did you do this on a milling machine? I have access to one and could do the modification on it. Thanks again, buckwheat34

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I did not have access to a milling machine and did mine by hand. For the squareing operation, the Bridgeport will be MUCH more accurate and is preferable if you have access. The original ports were probably drilled on a modified multi-head Bridgeport that cut all of them in the same pass. But, for the actual tapering and streamlining of the port webs, that probably needs to be done by hand.

On the three cylinder engines, you will see somewhere around 5-10 horsepower gain PER CYLINDER.

Since porting delivers more horsepower but usually at a higher RPM (porting increases the power by allowing more gas flow) for best results you want to be certain that the engine has a 2 to 1 ratio lower unit. Don't overprop and keep the engine up at or near 5500 if you can.

The original Chrysler 90 had a 2-1 lower, some Force 85s have 1.78-1 and some have 2-1.

Chrysler and Force engines are so old school in design that there is a lot of room for improvement by porting. If done correctly there are NO negative consequences, with the exception of possibly a slightly poorer idle. No excess heat is generated and no other systems need to be changed. The only thing you need to be careful about is maintaining exhaust port web thickness so they don't warp. As I said, you keep their thickness on the cylinder side to the same as the distance between the ports. Port size even when enlarged and squared is so small in comparison to the maximum allowed, that catching rings is not a danger. However, chamfering the top and bottom edges is a good idea.

Since gasoline burns at a finite speed and since maximum power is generated when the burn time is equal before and after Top Dead Center and since the burn speed is dependant upon combustion chamber design, timing stays the same.

Compression ratio determines the need for higher octane and since you are not changing that, regular 87 octane is the correct fuel. Now, if you really want to go wild, the head can be milled about .060 for higher compression but then, you would need higher octane fuel.

If your engine has the older round tip reed petals, you can open up the reed stops wider, or you can invest about 125 in a set of aftermarket reeds like Boyeson. I never tried them and can't comment on whether they produce more power.

You do not need to re-jet the carbs, however, check the venturi size: you want to be certain that you have the 1 5/16 venturi carbs. They are marked on the casting internally, just under the float. If you have the smaller 1 3/16 carbs, look around to replace them. Just to be safe, you can set the float level a just a "smidge" high.

Even though at full throttle you will be using more fuel, the stock pump will provide more than enough. Just be sure that there are no restrictions in the system and please, please, please, put a filter BETWEEN the pump and carbs. And, be absolutely certain that they are not set too lean on the low speed circuit. That's the kiss of death to any Force.

However, do not expect magic: After all this, because of the relation of required horsepower to speed--it takes roughly four times the horsepower to double speed--you will only expect to see about 3-5 MPH increase.