What is the maximum safe size to tow

rwjacobs

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Ford expedition with 5.4L V8, with towing package and load-leveling system. What is the maximum size cruiser that can be towed with this vehicle without getting in too much issues. According to the hitch and vehicle specs, I can tow up to 8000Lbs.<br /><br />I am looking for a 23 to 25' cabin cruiser and will probably tow not more than 3 hours at the time.<br /><br />I have experience with towing a 19 footer.<br /><br />Thanks for your time!

D

DJ

Re: What is the maximum safe size to tow

I like to keep weights in the maximum of 75% of capacity.

rwjacobs

Seaman Apprentice

It looks like djohns19 recommends 6000Lbs. Since I do not have one yet, are the 23 to 25 foot cabin cruisers within that range?

D

DJ

Hans,<br /><br />You may be pushing it. Look at the "dry" weight of the boat you are interested in. Make sure you take into account any engine you may opt. for. ie; 8.1L vs. 6.0L, etc.<br /><br />Calculate in the weight of fuel ,water, etc. Fuel weighs about 6 lbs. per gal. water about eight. Add 500 lbs. for misc. STUFF.<br /><br />You should be able to find the exact weight of the trailer from a brochure or spec. sheet.

rwjacobs

Seaman Apprentice

thanks so much for your help!