What is the correct way to measure outbord shaft length?

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As title says, how does one measure if one has short, long or extra long shaft.
I am trying to adjust shift rod length on 88 140 lopper.
I have a 1988 full johnson workshop repair manual
at the beginning in specs it gives shift 2 rod lengths only for the 140 HP , but towards the section on gear boxes and shift rod length it gives 3 lengths, for the 140hp V4 short, long and extra long .
I had trouble recently because of rod adjustment and it was always too short press the rod down into reverse, I figured that the rod must be set too short . Now with this repair manual, I figure that the middle measurement given in the 2nd box is long shaft and that is why I am missing the downward travel of the shift rod.
Is it measured by the drive shaft length or length of lower unit or transom to ????

thanks guys

Last edited:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: What is the correct way to measure outbord shaft length?

Normally, measuring from the underside of the transom brackets down to the cavitation plate would give one a close enough measurement to determine whether the engine is a standard, long, or extra long shaft model.

However, regardless of which you have, the differences between the models would be exactly five inches (5"), meaning that you would only be able to obtain one of the measurements indicated... it would be impossible to adjust the shift rod from one (correct) measurement to a length five inches higher or lower... there just isn't that many threads.

The measurement must be taken with the unit in neutral, and taken from the top surface of the lower unit to the center of the top shift rod hole with the offset facing in the proper direction.

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What is the correct way to measure outbord shaft length?

thanks