What is the correct torque spec for hinge pins on a 97 alpha gen 2?

milestan

Cadet
I'm a bit confused. I've read several threads and it appears the prevailing spec is 100 ft-lbs for the hinge pins on an alpha gen 2, but I've also seen some variance in what people are recommending. The manual itself is also confusing because it notes different specs in different parts. I've attached all the pages from the manual that make reference to this torque spec. The manual lists the following: 100 ft-lbs, 102 ft-lbs and 60 ft-lbs, or possibly 110 ft-lbs. Now I think the 60 ft-lbs is probably simply an editorial type error in the manual because the preceding diagram in the manual shows notations of A thru D, but in the notes on the next page it lists C thru F. If the C thru F should be re-lettered to A thru D, then that would make the hinge pins 110 ft-lbs.

To make things even more confusing, I also checked a Clymer manual to see what it would say, and I found 95 ft-lbs.

Does anyone really know what the correct spec should be? I know that there isn't relatively much difference between 95-110 ft-lbs, but if it is indeed supposed to be 60 ft-lbs, I'd hate to be torqueing down aluminum components that tight due to risking stripping out the threads.

Doesn't anyone proof read these manuals before publishing? This isn't the first mistake I've found in these mercruiser manuals.

Attachments

• Alpha 1 Gen II manual.pdf
    66.4 KB · Views: 1

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: What is the correct torque spec for hinge pins on a 97 alpha gen 2?

i always torque alpha style bell housings to 100 lb/ft, the older MC-1 styles i take it easier on, there are usually corrosion/wear issues

bravo i torque to 150 lb/ft

blue loctite on the hinge pin threads - always