What is sound when key first turned on 3L LX?

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
3L LX Digital Electronic Ignition 1995 OF367647

When i First turned key there used to be a sound. I guessed it was fuel priming? maybe auto choke?

I stupidly grounded the centre cable that goes to the distributor to the engine when compression testing now no sound.
And automatic choke doesnt work (if I have one one)

=============================================
1. What might I have killed with the resulting big spark?
2. What was the key turn sound at the engine originally?
3. How can I tell if I have an automatic choke? Purple and black wires going to carb area?
4. Is carb supposed to be almost completely closed on cold start?

- Engine starts and runs with throttle pumping, doesn't idle cold very well (choke only closes a bit on cold start)
Runs fine high speed,
* I need to turn off the engine and restart after running it to make engine idle properly or go at slow speed or stalls out

Last edited:

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone know what made this sound?
Surely it is a common sound when you first turn the key on some 3L mercruisers?

Its like a 3 second whirring. Fuel primer, automatic choke... Anyone?
Thanks

JustJason

Vice Admiral
The only sound you should hear when turning the key is the engine alarm doing it's self test beep for just a second or two, and then that beep stops. That is all you should year. So...… on your boat, Who knows?????? Find a helper to cycle the key while you go hunting for the noise.

Scott06

Admiral
3L LX Digital Electronic Ignition 1995 OF367647

When i First turned key there used to be a sound. I guessed it was fuel priming? maybe auto choke?

I stupidly grounded the centre cable that goes to the distributor to the engine when compression testing now no sound.
And automatic choke doesnt work (if I have one one)

1. What might I have killed with the resulting big spark?
2. What was the key turn sound at the engine originally?
3. How can I tell if I have an automatic choke? Purple and black wires going to carb area?
4. Is carb supposed to be almost completely closed on cold start?

- out

Your engine will have a mechanical fuel pump so no noise would be heard, and auto chock wont make a noise.
answers to your questions
1. You grounded the wire from the coil to the distributor? Nothing would happen from this. This is what you should do when doing a compression test to discharge the coil. The same thing happens in the spark plujg everfy time it fires a cylinder...
2. describe the sound - may be warning buzzer until oil pressure is built up?
3. Yes the choke stove is electrically heated so there will be a purple wire going to choke stove on side of carb (round about 2.5" in diameter)
4. Yes should basically be completely closed once you pump the throttle full open to set it, Should be completely open when the engine is warmed up. The linkage can stick or if alternator output is low/belt lose may not have enough voltage at idle to orpen the choke.

My 3.0 had a busted choke heating element so I jsut set it full open, ran ok for years that way until I found a heat element on line.

Likely what you describe you just need to adjust the choke and ensure proper operation

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you should hear a click of the tumblers in the ignition swtich followed by the alarm self check beep

if you do not turn the key to start, you may hear your gauges sweep, and any other powered accessory come to life, however you will not hear anything else from the motor

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A big thanks to all who replied! Humanity at its best!
Sadly, since it doesn't make the sound anymore, its hard to say. Lots of good help in this post esp. Scott with your detailed info and things to check!

BTW, Ive never heard a key turn "beep"... I guess thats another story...