What is Most Important to You???

Pretty general discussion. Can be about any kind of boat (pontoon, fishing, run about, etc.), but what is most important to you. If you were buying a new boat, what is on your "must have" list that the dealer better be sure they get right?

We just bought a Lund Impact and use it in many different facets. For fishing I needed a lot of storage because of long trips to Canada, I loved the Sport Track for the rod holders, and I needed something that was going to handle the rough waters of the big lakes there. We also use it locally (Wisconsin) for cruising around and spending summer weekends on the lake; The aft conversion bench is perfect for when we have four or five people on board (and is also nice for fishing when folded down), and the dealer talked us into maxing out the horse power for tubers and maybe skiers (probably mostly little kids).

Overall, in the first couple months of usage, we couldn't be happier!!

What is everyone else looking for??

agallant80

Commander
Re: What is Most Important to You???

I just bought my first crusing boat this year. The hot water and A/C are nice but after buying a smaller cruiser I am noticing that storage is at a premium in a boat like mine. I have put a few hooks on the front of the door to the head so I can have some clothes hang but I never have enough space to store enough stuff. Thinking of upgrading to a 28-32 foot boat storage being a big reason. Above all else is the seaworthiness of the boat. Engine and hull in good condition and safty equipment in place. Also the seatow membership brings a decent peace of mind.

Storage was an issue in our last boat as well. Is there anything you will use to judge the amount of storage in the next boat, or do you think it is just a "feel thing" when you are looking at different options?

Short of bringing all of our gear from dealer to dealer, I just had to imagine how much we usually need and try and picture the boat fully loaded...

agallant80

Commander

Im not sure if there is a metric but hanging locker, cabinates, larger boat in general. For example the camper canvass and 6 PFDs take up 2/3 of the v-birth storage and the remaning 1/3 is very difficult to get to. Above deck there are two under seat storage areas which are taken up by shore power cores, dock hose, filler cussion and the grill. The gally has a fridge that is always full, we keep what dry goods we can fit in the microwave etc.

Volphin

Lieutenant

I look for a solid design, smooth ride in chop and a wicked engine(s).

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

In order of priority, if met it leads to enjoyment. The owner-pilot shares the most responsibility, then dealer/mechanic, manufacturer, crew.

1) safety
2) safety
3) reliability
4) stability
5) performance
6) storage
7) creature comforts

Last edited:

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Layout of seating and storage

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

My priorities in some semblance of order starting with most important:

seaworthiness--whether it can safely operate in the worst conditions I might encounter
hull design, including size, for my conditions. I have different boats for shallow, protected water than I do for deeper, open water; neither one is suited for the other's conditions
reliability--both a safety factor and a happiness factor
open space in the boat--for moving around and for hauling gear.
comfort for conditions--the ride and splash factor for typical conditions I encounter
ease of maintenance-- I will not spend my precious free time covering and protecting and cleaning, and I will not compromise my activities because it might get the boat dirty. therefore...
Few creature comforts and gizmos to go wrong. These are priorities to some but liabilities to me. No carpet, little padding, no sound systems, few electronics.

haulnazz15

Captain

Very difficult as it would depend on what type of boat I was buying.

Runabout:
1. Layout/deck design
2. Engine Options
3. Safety
4. Ease of maintenance

Fishing:
1. Fishability
2. Storage
3. Seaworthiness
4. Low maintenance

Cruiser:
1. Deck Layout
2. Amenities - on board generator
3. Storage
4. Ease of maintenance

Water Sports Boat:
1. Wake Shape
2. Deck Layout/ Ergonomics
3. Safety

JetSki:
1. Holeshot
2. Handling
3. Ease of maintenance
4. Top Speed

* I left reliability off of the list because I've never owned a boat engine that has been "unreliable". Old 90HP SeaHorse Johnson fired up every time, Mid-90'd Merc 115 O/B fired up every time, Merc 233 fires up every time, Kawasaki 1100 fires up every time. I'd trust anything from Merc, Volvo, Kawasaki, Honda, etc. without too much question.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I fish recreational and competitively inshore and off so rough water handling and fishabilty are top priorities.

1. Sea worthy hull design (Rough water capability)
2. Weight of boat...there is no replacement for displacement when things get rough.
3. Top quality construction and components
4. Closed transom with outboard(s)
5. Large open cockpit
6. Large fish boxes and bait wells
7. Hardtop with full canvas
8. Full compliment of quality electronics
9. Raw water washdown
10. Redundant bilge pumps
11. Low maintenance

Last edited: