What is it ???

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have two problems! 1st son was out in boat today and alarm for low oil came on. He shut down motor right then. 2nd when he got it home we found a solenoid leaking? or something like one... it is between carbs and fuel and oil injector pump. Fuel line runs into it and has a place to check fuel pressure and a red pointer that travels 180 degrees. Well it leaks when engine is cranking or running.. Is this my low oil light?? or What??? 2000 200 Johnson serial # G04802140.<br />Thanks David C

ob

Admiral
Re: What is it ???

Yo cbass,That item is the fuel primer solenoid valve.It is energized when you push in on the key switch for cold startup.It allows fuel to flow into intake chamber bypassing the carburetors after the fuel primer bulb has been pumped up.The normal "run" position of the red lever is clockwise until it stops ,or inline with the body of the solenoid.In the event that the key primer or solenoid itself is defective,the red lever can be turned counter clockwise or perpendicular to the solenoid body for manual prime until the engine starts cold ,and then returned to the normal "run" position.May just have an "o" ring or hose leaking on it if you're lucky.The schrader valve on the unit is used for decarbing purposes and affords decarbing products to be injected through the schrader.It too may be your leak source.<br /><br />Was the oil reservoir low on oil?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

praise you son, for doing the right thing. alot of them will say it will be all right, and keep on running.

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No oil resivor was full! I checked before he left.I always check that,and bulb was hard. Yes I'm proud he did right thing! He called from boat and told me.I said then he had done right thing. Now you described this thing correctly can it be taken apart? and How? and is or could it be my problem???

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is leaking big time at valve!!!!It looks like it can be taken apart.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

There should be 2 bolts that hold the valve to the motor via a small strap. Remove those and then remove the 2 small lines going to the valve(They are on the back side of it and it's kinda tight). Remove the wires and Then remove the valve. There are 4 small screws on the end cap of the valve. Remove those and it comes apart...Can you see where it leaking from??

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks!!! By the time you posted I had it off and apart. Use to be Auto Tech, years ago. Mine has three line on it. One in, two small ones out. Found red pointer cracked down side of valve. O ring okay. I don't see any cracks in houseing... Schrader valve is okay just plastic around it fried. Where to buy is next question, and could this be problem ? Thanks again....<br />Davey C.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I think I bought mine on Ebay. Yeah, forgot about that 3rd line..Sometimes you can buy just that part and repair it alot cheaper.

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just the red pointer. Everthing else looks good.Could this be problem with oil light???

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I never thought about Ebay. I guess this can cause a vacum leak just like a car!!!!

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How are you looking it up?? I tried but couldn't find any listing !!!!(EBAY)

ob

Admiral

cbass,the low oil alarm should be one short tone every 30 -40 secs.Is this the alarm he was getting? If so,and the reservoir was indeed full,then I suspect that the oil reservoir sending unit needs attention.The leaking primer solenoid should not trip the low level alarm.

DHPMARINE

Captain

What it sounds like you need is just the red part. #175158. $5.85 at your local dealer.<br /><br />DHP

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for part# and price I'll get a new one Tues. My son said alarm was solid and light came on... So What could this be ????

ob

Admiral

A steady tone alarm is one of two things.Fuel restriction alarm or engine overheat alarm.<br /><br />If your particular engine experiences an overheat alarm ,it is designed to go into S.L.O.W. mode which limits the engine rpms to around 2500,until the alarm is reset by turning the engine off and restarting.<br /><br />If the fuel restriction alarm is triggered,it will not limit engine rpms.<br /><br />My guess is that your primer solenoid leak triggered the fuel restriction alarm.However ,touch on it with your son and get the entire lowdown on how the engine behaved.Reason being is you don't want to run the engine if the cooling system is in need of attention.<br /><br />You can get one of those stickers to stick near the helm from your local Bombardier dealer that indentifies the alarms.That way when experiencing one ,you'll be able to identify which.

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for info.I did quiz him about how it acted and what he did. He said horn sounded and he looked down and saw light on (Oil). He was runing about 55 Mph when it happened.He said he let off hot foot and shut motor down. I've had one engine over heat and it went into limp mode as I say. No Power just barley runs. After it cooled it ran fine till it got hot.I was on lake Guntersville. 15 miles from ramp.I know different alarms, I'll have to teach him... New water pump in boat, no over heatingis my guess. I'm thinking leak was it... I'm going to mix fuel in tank and check compresion. If all is okay, I'll take to lake and start, on trailer... I thank everone for advice and response. If pump for oil injection is bad I'll replace it. How can it be checked??? <br />Thanks Again Davey C

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have repaired cracked red pointer temp. for now will buy another one... I choked motor and didn't see any leaking fuel, like it did this morning..<br />Thanks Davey C

ob

Admiral

Best way to confirm that the OMS pump is delivering is to mix 50:1 in fuel tank or portable tank.Then mark a line at exactly the oil level in reservoir and run enough fuel through to get the oil level line to drop.Then calculate the amount of oil spent verses the spent fuel.This is standard recommended procedure anytime that the oil reservoir,or OMS pump is serviced and reprimed.<br /><br />Your engine alarms should be as follows<br /><br />rapid short tones = no oil alarm <br />one short tone every 30-40 secs = low oil in reservoir<br />constant tone and engine won't operate above 2500 rpm = overheat<br />constant tone and engine will operate at or near top speed = fuel restriction