What is it with Women and car maintenance?

Homerr

Commander
I'm spending the better part of my morning working on the Wife's car. I rarely drive it.<br /><br />Since it's usually cheaper for her to get the oil changed at one of those quickie-shops on Women's day, I haven't had to mess with the car much.<br /><br />I noticed the other day that the power steering belt was making enough noise to drown-out a mini truck's stereo !!<br />The belts were being held together by Devinne intervention. :eek: <br /><br />How long has the engine check light been on? I aksed...<br /><br />She replies...<br />"I don't know... few months"<br /><br /> :mad: <br /><br />Now I wonder why they call those lights "idiot lights" ??<br /><br /><br />H.

Re: What is it with Women and car maintenance?

What you are dealing with here are mutually exclusive terms. Like Intelligent Computing, Jumbo Shrip, etcetera, etcertera, etcetera...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It is a carefully crafted scheme to make you feel smart and needed. Don't knock it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Make sure you give her an earful about this. Turn this into a learning experience: She needs YOU, to fix things.<br />No, that won't work, cause if she gets rid of you and the boat, she will buy a new car. Hmmmm.

dolluper

Captain

Hay look at the bright side at least the light still works and you know there,s a problem , the blub could of burn't out and she would of thought the car fixed itself,until the motor dropped out.Here's a tip stick a piece of paper on the frig that says car problems or curbs hit[especially for my wife her specialty]and if she notices anything to write it down AHHH on second thought forget it since it might drive you slowly carzy[crazy] :D :D

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

My wife thought the red oil light meant it was low on oil, not completely out. Cost me one good car, but she knows now.

Homerr

Commander

LOL!!<br /><br />Our car has one of those ignition cut-off switches if it completly loses oil pressure.<br /><br />You know who the engineers had in mind when they came up with that one! :) <br /><br />H.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I have countelss times told the wife what each light and gauge means. But I doubt it will do any good, cause I always hear, "a light was on the other day, and then it went out, I dont remember what light it was". :mad: <br /><br />Ken

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Females + Needed maintenance = justification of our lives!<br /><br />Simple formula! My only advice to my wife is if any light comes on just tell me. Bad news always gets worse with age.<br /><br />Bob

Twidget

Commander

Been there, done that. Wife comes in, the brakes are squeaking a bit. Metal on metal. :eek: :confused:

LadyFish

Admiral

Look y'all. A man invented those idiot lights. :D <br /><br />What kind of intelligence does it take to invent a light that tells you your OUT of oil rather than its getting low. Afterall it IS an oil "check" light no?

NYMINUTE

Captain

Mrs NYM is very perceptive on auto/boat maintenence. Too perceptive if that is possible. Every little noise is followed by a "Jimmmmmmm, can you check this?" The best one yet was the noise from the power antenna going down when she sut off the engine. Naturally I told here it was probably that Neil Diamond, Michael Bolton music she listens to. That went over really big. :p

D

DJ

Women abuse vehicles, men fix them. It's a way of life, don't TRY to figure it out.<br /><br />LF wrote.<br /><br />
What kind of intelligence does it take to invent a light that tells you your OUT of oil rather than its getting low.
And, that would make you stop-NOT! I've found with no matter what light is on, it gets driven until there is smoke/fire, or it simply will not go anymore.<br /><br />I take great joy in making sure my wifes vehicle is in TIP TOP condition. It makes for a great relationship. There are two sides to every street.

PW2

Commander

So you mean when you hear a funny noise coming from the engine compartment, it is not a signal to turn the volume up on the radio?

D

DJ

So you mean when you hear a funny noise coming from the engine compartment, it is not a signal to turn the volume up on the radio?
That's the general idea. It is lost on many.

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

the oil light on my sisters car came on and she filed it up with a few litres of oil .she then complained of the time it took and the mess all over her drive I asked her how she filled it up ...yep you guessed it she put the oil down the dipstick hole!! my other sis said her honda was burning oil almost unknown in hondas unless your very bad to them!! I asked when the last time she put oil in it .....yup she put a gallon in it right up to the filler hole .Its nice to know we men will continue to be of some use in the future .

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

go to mans store. buy box of BBs. go home. spread BBs onto carpet. get out vacuum cleaner. wait for better half to notice you are going to vacuum the carpet. respond that you are going to help out by vacuuming. begin vacuuming. when she herself notices that the vacuum is making a dreadful sound, one she may well recognize, stop vacuuming. present dumb facial expression. note that you did not notice that anything seemed wrong, as the vacuum device seemed to function OK. :D ;)

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

My better half wastes no time letting me know if she thinks something is not right on her rig. The only thing I don't do is change the oil, the quicky place can do that. Otherwise, I fix all the other things. Things I caught and fixed so far: Power antenna, radio, front brakes, plugs, wires, waterpump, fuel pump, air conditioning, passenger side mirror, rear passenger door handle. Things I need to fix: fuel sending unit is now not working properly, slow tranny leak, lots of rattles and noises from undercarriage due to age (93 Grand Cherokee).<br /><br />When we first started dating, the rig would stall all the time. I looked at it, turned out that the tranny was almost empty. Now a bit added here and there keeps things full. The plugs had never been changed, the radio had stopped working. She just drove it and hoped nothing would break. Now she is spoiled because she doesn't have to think about it unless it does something wierd. Lets face it, it is the mans job to fix the car (or pay someone to fix it)...<br /><br />Plus, I have my mom and two sisters, all have cars, and I get to keep them running as well...

D

DJ

As I mentioned, I take great pride in making sure "honeys" '05' Mustang is tip top.<br /><br />I wash it, keep it full of fuel and check all the maintenance points regularly. When it comes time for service, I pick up and deliver to her workplace. Her workmates are astounded.<br /><br />I am rewarded by her total appreciation. That's enough for me.

PW2

Commander

I am sympathetic to a woman's plight<br /><br />I recall getting a panic call from my sister years ago in her Toyota. Seems she pulled into a gas station, with her car running fine. The attendant asked her if she wanted the oil checked and she said fine.<br /><br />She went to pull out, and the thing would barely run, popping and spitting. The same guy that checked her oil told her she needed a "valve job", and that he could do it right there for her for $400. The only reason she didn't do it was she was broke and had no way of paying the guy.<br /><br />So she called me and I quickly found the problem. A rocker arm had somehow slipped off the valve under it. 20 minutes and a new valve cover gasket later, and she was on her way.<br /><br />Curiously, it was the only rocker arm accessible to someone with a screwdriver thru the oil filler cap. Difficult to prove, however.