What is and Improved Slip and How does it work?

Shepest

Cadet
Sorry stupid Newby question here. I came across a lake that advertised 'Improved Slips' and need to know what that all means. The pictures showed some that were decked out to the 9's. With mini apartments on upper decks. Others were just slips jazzed up a lot but with equipment (ie. TV's, frigs, W/D, etc.) that looks like it's left there all the time.

How do these work? Are the slips bought out right? How do you "own" a slip? What type of paper does it come with? Or are you just buying the extras and you still due a monthly fee to the marina? How is the ?stuff? kept safe? Insurance? Someone please give me some insight.

Thanks
Shepest

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: What is and Improved Slip and How does it work?

These are questions for you to ask the marina....
could be rentals only .... Could be like a condo with a deed of ownership AND dues for maintenance.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

You'll want to call them and ask, however at my marina that means a renter built something up, say put a deck on the back 5 feet, maybe put a hot tub there too. The renter that did the work left the marina, and the marina rents the slip for more money because it's "Improved" with a deck and a hot tub.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I agree; "improved slip" isn't a standard term and "improved" could be anything.

In any deal like this (time shares, condos) watch out for unspecified fees. Often the base rent or similar payment is only a small part of the expense!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Newer, greater, improved, are con words to separate you from your money.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

And it could be that they don't have the rights to sell you anything, as they probably don't own the water.
The whole thing could vanish when's they lose their lease from the government, or lose access to the water.

Anything other than a seasonal rental fee should be looked into very closely.

Oh, and "improved" may mean that they have replaced a few dock boards.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Boaters, as a group are the most cynical people you'll ever meet.:suspicious: I'm thinking improved might mean electric and water at the dock. Only one way to know for sure.

Shepest

Cadet

Thanks Everyone for answering. This marina I was looking at was in Texas I believe. And they were actually selling these slips for up to Tens of thousands of dollars depending on if they had this open air apartment above. I'll have to find the site again and post it so you all can see what I talking about..... should have done that in the first place..... Dah!,,,,, blonde here. Thanks again.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I'm thinking improved might mean electric and water at the dock. Only one way to know for sure.

Always been my understanding, too. 'Improved' around here means dockside water and electric. Make the phone call.

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class

Always been my understanding, too. 'Improved' around here means dockside water and electric. Make the phone call.

And then come back here and fill us all in !