What is a "Squid-and-Spearing" for fluke fishing?

scrdanis

Cadet
I've been looking at fishing reports and as of late many of them are refering to "squid-and-spearing" working best. What exactly is that? is it just a squid and bait fish on the same hook? Help please.

Fishbusters

Ensign
Re: What is a "Squid-and-Spearing" for fluke fishing?

Sounds like a squid and fish sandwich that is recomended here for small sharks. What this consists of is a two hook rig with one piece of each bait on each hook. It could be both on one hook though as I have done this using a small piece of squid and shrimp the shrimp draws them in but the squid makes them hold on longer as it is tougher.

Jersey Jim

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Scrdanis, it's just a nice piece of squid on a hook with a sperring added on top. You would think that the targeted fluke would say - "this is too good to be true" and move on. Live killies can also be used with the squid. ;)

gwman

Seaman Apprentice

you put the spearing on the hook first - through the eye seems to have the best hold. then place a nice piece of squid on top of it. i cut a slice through the bottom end of the squid, gives it tail like appearance for those fluke with good eye sight.<br />this combo works well for me. the spearing, if using it alone, get taken off the hook real easy, but the squid are tougher.<br />good luck