What is a great family boat

lornej

Cadet
I currently have a bayliner capri 175 3.0l. My family has outgrown the boat. 4 kids and we often bring along more adults and kids. We tube alot, but as the kids get older they will ski and wakeboard. I ski, but wakeboard more. I was thinking about a direct drive open bow or vdrive open bow. would also consider and larger I/O with a 5.0l. Would like to hear what some of you with larger groups boat in.

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What is a great family boat

My thinking is along similar lines. My next boat will be a direct drive open bow that seats 10-13. I currently own an 18' runabout open bow that seats 8.

I understand that Malibu is popular because it has great financing options. I'm partial to Moomba myself, Outbacks tend to be a little more on the affordable side from what I've seen. If I had no budget I'd probably get a higher end Moomba or a Ski Nautiques.

There's pros and cons to owning a direct/v drive though. Whether you can beach or not is highly dependant on the lake (ranging from yes, to impossible). They ride different too. There's lots of good, larger family boats as well in IO form factor if that appeals as well.

lornej

Cadet

My thinking is along similar lines. My next boat will be a direct drive open bow that seats 10-13. I currently own an 18' runabout open bow that seats 8.

I understand that Malibu is popular because it has great financing options. I'm partial to Moomba myself, Outbacks tend to be a little more on the affordable side from what I've seen. If I had no budget I'd probably get a higher end Moomba or a Ski Nautiques.

There's pros and cons to owning a direct/v drive though. Whether you can beach or not is highly dependant on the lake (ranging from yes, to impossible). They ride different too. There's lots of good, larger family boats as well in IO form factor if that appeals as well.

Hey Sean. I see you live in Sylvan Lake. I live in Calgary. I had a Brendella before so i know how they ride. We go to Ghost lake, too many rocks to beach. I was thinking of a used mastercraft maristar or tristar. Really good prices on used boats in the States. Thats how I bought my bayliner a couple yrs ago. I like the seating arangements of the v drives. I did not care for the engine in the middle of the boat, but it would work with an open bow.
Lorne

SeanT

Ah yes, I keep forgetting about the advantage of V drives. My cousins just bought a Mastercraft (I always forget them for some reason) - they make nice boats!

Too late for me though I already have a crush, a Moomba is definitely in my future once I figure out how to pay for one. I've seen several old Correct Craft, MB, Brendellas, Nautiques and Moomba Boomerangs for great prices - but all closed bow. I would have been able to get away with that for a first boat, but no chance of that now with a wife and three draggable kids.

Since joining this forum I've become painfully aware of the price difference of used boats in the states. My current boat actually spent most of it's life in the states, but I bought it local. I need to make really good friends with someone down there :D

I've never been to Ghost - I hear it's really cold water?

lornej

Cadet

Ah yes, I keep forgetting about the advantage of V drives. My cousins just bought a Mastercraft (I always forget them for some reason) - they make nice boats!

Too late for me though I already have a crush, a Moomba is definitely in my future once I figure out how to pay for one. I've seen several old Correct Craft, MB, Brendellas, Nautiques and Moomba Boomerangs for great prices - but all closed bow. I would have been able to get away with that for a first boat, but no chance of that now with a wife and three draggable kids.

Since joining this forum I've become painfully aware of the price difference of used boats in the states. My current boat actually spent most of it's life in the states, but I bought it local. I need to make really good friends with someone down there :D

I've never been to Ghost - I hear it's really cold water?
Ya the water is cold. we were there yesterday and there were 7 boys with us and they swam in there for hours. Its not bad with wetsuits. Does moomba make a nice open bow? I like the maristar and tristar because they have a deeper bow and are said to ride better. My brendella almost rattled my teeth loose in choppy water.

SeanT

Moomba's Outback model has a direct drive and v-drive versions, both open bow. I think they are both really nice. On the slightly higher end (depending on options) are the Mobius and a few others, and they typically have the same layouts, just bigger (up to 24").

Martin Motorsports is the Moomba dealer in Calgary, and either website should have top down layouts you can have a look at it.

lornej

Cadet

Moomba's Outback model has a direct drive and v-drive versions, both open bow. I think they are both really nice. On the slightly higher end (depending on options) are the Mobius and a few others, and they typically have the same layouts, just bigger (up to 24").

Martin Motorsports is the Moomba dealer in Calgary, and either website should have top down layouts you can have a look at it.

Check this out http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/boa/1313692801.html Nice boat. loads of room.

SeanT

Huh, author seems to have deleted now (did you buy it? :D), but I managed to quickly check that link earlier. Looks like a nice boat, but no year listed, etc. Looked newer than the ones I've been looking at lately.

Yeah, I love the v-drive seating arrangement. I'm surprised more IOs aren't doing that (or maybe on the high end they are, just not where I'm looking :D)

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've heard from several people that the competition boats (Natique, Moomba, etc.) are too specifically designed to be good all-around family boats. Any input from someone who owns one or has used one?

Dave

SeanT

So, I just ended up selling my 18" stern drive open bow and bought a 20.5" direct drive open bow just last week. My family loves the layout more, there's more walking and elbow room. Storage was a bit of a challenge for me, not so much the amount, just in different places. The tower sure is nice for getting stuff off the floor. The swim platform is much MUCH nicer for the kids to enter/exit the boat, which is a plus (I know you can get IOs with those styles of platforms too, but i've never seen a ski boat without one). So, we're happy with it.

Plus, it pulls nicer on the trailer. MUCH nicer. I think this might have to do with how the boat's weight is more in the center, instead of all at the rear. My old boat didn't tow badly, this one just tows better.

Marty Niner

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like you have a great boat there Sean T....

I have a 21ft. 88 Bayliner Trophy 200hp Merc outboard fishing boat, even though I don't fish...:redface:
But, I have 5 kids, and the boat is great for a big family. Lots of room on the deck, lots of storage space, plenty of room for sitting, and it has a cuddy for the little ones to take a nap, change into swimsuits, use as a washroom..etc.
It doesn't tow too bad either. I pull it with my 97 Jeep Cherokee.