What HP should a kicker motor be?

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My unlce wants to give me a 6HP Johnson and I was wondering if it would be big enough to be a kicker for my boat.

placebo

Seaman
Re: What HP should a kicker motor be?

99, I'd much prefer that 6hp to a pair of oars! And the price is right. Go ahead and put it on.<br /><br />David

voodoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm with Volvo 6hp is enough to push you alot faster than paddling.<br />how big is the boat?

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

20' Walkaround Cuddy.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to General Outboard

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

rboat...for a 20' I would say minimum would be 10hp, but I would suggest up to 20hp would do better. A 6hp kicker in rough seas won't get you anywhere but trouble...just a thought :)

jofish

Seaman Apprentice

I just put a 8 hp. Mercury on my 17.5 fish & ski, according to my gps it pushes me at 9.2 mph WOT. Its great for slow trolling.Throttle cable broke on the main engine last time I was out was REAL nice having a way to get back, I could have made it back on the main working the throttle by hand but a quick pull of the kicker was much easier,I would jump all over it can't never have to many options.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

My unlce wants to give me a 6HP Johnson and I was wondering if it would be big enough to be a kicker for my boat.<br />
So what if its too small? As mentioned -- its better than the alternative. Besides, is it worth insulting your uncle over? Anyway its free !!<br /><br />Oh wait -- it will be too small. Send it to me. That way we'll keep your uncle happy.