What Hot Tub chems do you use?

dhud64

Petty Officer 1st Class
What Hot Tub chems do you use?<br />I've tried baquaspa and Baquacil (?) <br />Also some bromine type...(?)<br />I have not used any chlorine types yet.<br /><br />What Hot Tub chems do you use?

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What Hot Tub chems do you use?

Bromine all the way.....<br />and I quit buying the stuff from discount type stores. The brands from pool / spa supply houses last a LOT longer, dissolve more evenly, and keep a much more consistant level than the cheap junk...the WalMart crap is no bargain in the long run.<br />For a clarifier I use the stuff for pools (in gallon jugs) vs. the pint bottles for spas.<br />For PH control I also use pool chemicals...the HTH brand powders. Much cheaper and easier to balance than little spa bottles.<br />Also treat with metal control every now and then.<br /><br />Our hot tub is super easy to care for, and we use it a lot. Once a week is all I need to check it and it's usually fill the bromine dispenser, dip a test strip, and shock it. The only "problem" times are when we have company and they are loaded up with makeup and such.<br />I clean the filter 3 or 4 times yearly with a hot water spray, don't use the filter cleaning stuff - no need to- as the crud washes right off. Once a year new filter time.<br />Hmmmm- think I'll go hop in it now.....

dogsdad

Lieutenant

I find vodka, bourbon, or just an ice cold Corona to be a fine chemical for the hot tub. There were others I liked in my younger days, but they are illegal.<br /><br /> ;) <br /><br /><br />-dd-

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by bomar76:<br /> Our hot tub is super easy to care for, and we use it a lot. Once a week is allHmmmm- think I'll go hop in it now.....
Righto.....I only use the mininum amount of chlorine, keep the PH right, and just double the chlorine as a shock every other week. NO PROBLEMS.

gaugeguy

Captain

I use Bromine tablets in a floaty thingy. I also hit it with a clarifier and defoamer (I buy the cheapo stuff at Target). I check the ph about once a week, but usually don't have to do much to maintain it. I do drain and refill twice a year.<br /><br />Nothing like sitting in the hot tub in a snowstorm with just my face sticking out of the water (the walk from the tub, across my deck to the house is a chilly one though) ;)

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Be careful cuz the bromine and baquacil and the like can gum up your filters.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

No chlorines for this kid. Baqua Spa has worked great for the past 4 years. Seems to keep going up in price .... like everything else!<br /><br />Bob

dhud64

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by dogsdad:<br /> I find vodka, bourbon, or just an ice cold Corona to be a fine chemical for the hot tub. There were others I liked in my younger days, but they are illegal.<br /><br /> ;) <br /><br /><br />-dd-
Ahhhhhh I know what you mean!<br /><br />Thanks for the input folks my wife bought some stuff today, ....I smell a slight chlorine smell.....