What Happens When You Don't Winterize

Friz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was helping my buddy change the exhaust manifolds on his 26' Sea Ray today. They were cracked so before we could try running the boat, they had to be replaced.<br />Lo and Behold, I pulled the port manifold and riser off, bent down to check the freeze plugs and there is a huge crack in the block. This ain't no JB Weld fix, either. The block has actually distorted aand pushed out around the crack.<br />Anyone know of a Chevy 350 for sale cheap in the Pensacola, FL area?<br />BTW, the boat came from Ohio. I don't think we could freeze that hard here.<br />When I get the motor out, I'll take some pics and get them posted here as a lesson for others.<br />A costly mistake that is easily preventable.

KaGee

Admiral
Re: What Happens When You Don't Winterize

Look up RAPIDO MARINE. He's on Ebay and has a web site. Very reasonable on shortblocks.<br /><br />Yep, I replaced one last year due to previos owners lack of attention.

LANCLJ

Cadet

Even in warm winter climates, its still a good idea to fill your block with anti-freeze, if its going to be laid up for the "winter" or "off-season" months.

Bondo

Staff member

If the Block,+ Manifolds are Drained,.........<br /><br />Air Doesn't Freeze,.............<br /><br />And,........ It Co$t$ Nothing but about 5 Minutes of your Time..................... ;)

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

I've never used any antifreeze just changed the oil, fogged the engine, drained the block, manifolds, power steering cooler, and put it away.

LANCLJ

Cadet

Hey, Bondo, your right again. Air doesn't freeze. Thanks.<br /><br /> But condensation forming on unprotected metal parts, ie: empty engine blocks, is a pathway to rust and corrosion. And you never really remove ALL the water when you pull the block's drain plugs.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by LANCLJ:<br /> Hey, Bondo, your right again. Air doesn't freeze. Thanks.<br /><br /> But condensation forming on unprotected metal parts, ie: empty engine blocks, is a pathway to rust and corrosion. And you never really remove ALL the water when you pull the block's drain plugs.
Any raw water cooled motor is a rust and corrosion MAKER. During a saltwater season, the block is more corroded in one year than a "condensated" motor in 10 years of just sitting. And you are wrong on condensation causing rust. Moisture in the AIR causes rust. Condensation is a barrier to air. Put a piece of bare, sanded metal outside and a drop of water on it. see where the rust starts. It tends to drizzle a touch in Washington State in the winter, and cars/trucks here have no rust with 100,000's of thousand's of miles. As I stated in a previous post somewhere here, any barrier is better than pure air, and those internal block passages stay wet after draining and putting the plugs back in, and covering all the openings. <br /> And you only remove the majority of the water, so whats left, if it freezes, will have room to expand. Never was meant to get it dry.

MRS

Commander

No matter wear you are you should drain manifolds and motor in off season if you are worried about salt water use salt away to flush everything out at end of season and drain. Boats are not cheap to take care of but they sure are fun......

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Friz, where's those pic's? It will tell alot....JK

Friz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

J.kopec,<br />I haven't been back out to the boat yet. Hopefully I'll get out there this weekend. If so, I'll get the pics to you asap.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Robby6950:<br /> [QUOTE<br /> Condensation is a barrier to air. Put a piece of bare, sanded metal outside and a drop of water on it. see where the rust starts. It tends to drizzle a touch in Washington State in the winter, and
Wow, was I WRONG. I did just that, and the next day (even within an hour-cool and drizzly), the rust started UNDER the water. I would have thought the bare metal would start first. Back to the drawing board. Sorry for the bad info. I will correct the other post elsewhere on this screw-up.