What gives with helping people with a problem ?????????????

dubs283

Vice Admiral
All one can do is post an answer to the OP qeustion(s) to the best of their knowledge

If the question/issue is too vague either ignore the thread or ask appropriate questions for better troubleshooting advice

The issue regarding resolving the problem is left up to the OP. It is their decision whether or not to inform the forum as to the solution. Some folks have very long threads regarding repairs, others just move on quickly

IME about 5-10% (maybe) of boat owners have a somewhat firm grasp of what is going on with their boat as a whole. Heck, I've been around boats in depth for 20+ years and I still learn new stuff on a regular basis

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Folks who are actual participants on these boards are much better with posting the resolution. The drive-by posters who come just to have a single question answered often do not come back and either say thanks or post the resolution to their problem. I think the latter just don’t have any investment in out community, and I think many of them don’t have any sense of forum etiquette; they’re just looking for an answer to get their boat running.

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've been around this forum for a few years now and honestly forget to come back and post a response saying what worked or did not work half the time. You've given me a good kick in the ass to set a timed reminder for a week after a post to come back with a resolution or at least an update.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My opinion is that most of the "Lost" posters really didn't believe the suggestions, and / or found them too expensive or complicated, and thus never followed up anyway.

briangcc

Commander
Some posters, come here looking for validation for their unsafe practice and run after being told that they're being unsafe.

Examples (exaggerated but not by much) like: Can my Mini tow a 24ft pontoon boat as I bought the bigger engine in the Mini? I saw a guy on YouTube doing it so its fine right?

Or my boat is rated for a 30HP engine and I got this screaming deal from my neighbor for a 100HP Envirude which my neighbor said would work just fine....right? What if I only run it at 1/4 throttle and promise never to gun it?

:)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some marinas are now at $3 / minute for their time.----Some posters have no idea what level of help they are getting from the many volunteers here.----Wish I would get $0.10 / minute here.

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Some marinas are now at $3 / minute for their time.----Some posters have no idea what level of help they are getting from the many volunteers here.----Wish I would get $0.10 / minute here.
For the help I have gotten here over the years I'd gladly "tip" people on here if I could.

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's not just this forum. Same on other ones I follow. IE: Tractor, Truck, Chainsaw, Ect.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Just think----Rarely do you get a tip after spending hrs repairing an expensive motor.----That same person will tip the pretty waitress / bartender before the pint is in front of them !-----But I used to get a bonus on occasion before starting work on a motor -.----Fish fillet / moose steak / carribou.----Does not happen often

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
I never closed out one of my threads but in my defense, it was documented that I had to rebuild and that it's been fine since.

My favorite is on another forum, the old "I fixed it no help to you all" and I chuckle because most of the time, when someone feels the need to post that response they may or may not have actually fixed it... or inadvertently fixed the problem throwing the parts cannon at it... or the most common one, would have found the problem if they took the time to listen to the diagnostic steps outlined to them.

I'm bad myself though so.... Sorry. :censored:

1985 Century Mustang

Petty Officer 1st Class
Some posters, come here looking for validation for their unsafe practice and run after being told that they're being unsafe.

Examples (exaggerated but not by much) like: Can my Mini tow a 24ft pontoon boat as I bought the bigger engine in the Mini? I saw a guy on YouTube doing it so its fine right?

Or my boat is rated for a 30HP engine and I got this screaming deal from my neighbor for a 100HP Envirude which my neighbor said would work just fine....right? What if I only run it at 1/4 throttle and promise never to gun it?

:)
Lol