What gauges?

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Quick question. I am refitting my boat with new gauges this year. However I only have room for six.<br /><br />Speedometer<br />Tach<br />Trim<br />Fuel<br /><br />These Im not sure of which to get as I only have space for two more.<br /><br />* Voltmeter<br />* Water Temp<br />* Water Pressure

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: What gauges?

It's personal preference. I would have the volt and the pressure, if you have low pressure you are gonna have a higher temp and vica versa.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Top Notch.<br /><br />I am going to move this to Boats.<br /><br />Tell us about your boat and engine and we can offer much better suggestions.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well gauges are part of an Outboard engines system so I suppose I was half right about the Forum.<br /><br />Anywho...<br /><br />Its an outboard (86 Evin V6-150) on a 21ft C/C. Saltwater use. VRO is shut down, and I premix oil.. so oil pressure is not applicable.

mvaughn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry, I was thinking I/O. In that case volt and temp.

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On the topic of the Water Temp. Wouldnt it make sense to have sending units on both sides of the block considering that there are two thermostats on a V6???????

gaugeguy

Captain

It does make sense, but then you'd have to run two gauges and in most cases dash space is at a premium.

Chesterfield

Cadet

Hey there was a guy in here named billy somethin. He has been helping me with a problem and i was going to talk with him in here cause this is were i saw his name earlier. what happend to his post

Right here boss. JB must have deleted my post, what can i help you with today<br /><br />EDIT: Billy. I deleted your insulting post and I deleted your insult in this one. Please refrain from personal insults or go somewhere else. JB

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do you think there would be a way to rig two sending units to one temp gauge? and have it read the higher of the two temps?

cddfamily

Cadet

I use two senders and a small SPDT switch to a single guage. I guess you could build a comparator circuit that contols a relay to select the highest temp [lower resistance] sender, but it would be twice the wire run and more complicated than the simple switch.<br /><br />My humble opinion:<br />Water Temp - by the time it's too hot, it's too late. Water temp with Water Press tells you if your thermostats are working. Water Press- tells you that you water pump works without looking at the pee hole. Also gives you a baseline to compare changes to as the pump wares or the cooling begins to fail. Too low eventually = too hot.

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well all good stuff... yall not makin my decision easy!<br /><br />It pretty much comes down to, I need them all... Why do i really need a voltmeter over temp or pressure?<br /><br />aiight thats a dumb question, i need them all. It comes down to what is 3rd most important.

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe ditch the fuel gauge ... and go with tach/speed/trim/volt/temp/pressure.<br /><br />do they have gauges that attach directly to a fuel tank? (i currently have no sending unit)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I saw a post recently about some combination guages. Like combining the tach and volts in one guage, or was it water temp and water pressure. <br />Anywho, its something to check into when picking out a set of guages. Personally, I like the digital guages, but these can be hard to see in the daylight, and I have not seen a complete set of them.

gaugeguy

Captain

There are also 4 gauge combination gauges, in a 3-3/8 case though. The most common of these has fuel, temp, trim, and volts.

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I picked up 5 gauges tonight... <br /><br />Speed, Tach, Trim, Volt, Temp... Pressure arrives tomorrow.<br /><br />(the trim i have to return, its for the wrong make engine.. ooops)<br /><br />Pretty stoked, they look really sharp. Thanks for all your help, hopefully I have no difficulties hookin them up.