What gauge clear marine vinyl?

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
What size vinyl will I need to update my canvas enclosure windows? My options that I see are 40, 10, 16, 20, 4, and 8 at the moment.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
16 or 10 depending on what you are working on

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have 40 on the front and 30 on the sides and drop curtains

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
It depends if you need to roll up your plastic.40 gage is not gonna roll easily unless its a sunny 90 degree day.20 is the absolute minimum and 30 is the most common on a quality setup.Most important you need polished optically clear.A lot of plastics you get at a "Michaels" or "Joanns fabrics" look good until you try to see anything more than 10' away throught it.I care about that so I go with marine grade plastic only.If you dont care about optically clear then you can save some $$ but the less expensive plastics wont last as long or hold up to use as well as they dont have the same UV inhibitors.Charlie

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
It depends if you need to roll up your plastic.40 gage is not gonna roll easily unless its a sunny 90 degree day.20 is the absolute minimum and 30 is the most common on a quality setup.
The current one I have can be rolled, which to me rolling will eventually lay flat because of gravity and cause obstructions in my view over time (as it has). Unless you can have it stand upright when rolled up. I did want something on the front that would not roll since they are the smallest sections and the main 3 I use. These sections are all window, zipper, and button snaps. I figure it would be the easiest sections to update. My enclosure is connected to a bimini.

A lot of plastics you get at a "Michaels" or "Joanns fabrics" look good until you try to see anything more than 10' away throught it.I care about that so I go with marine grade plastic only.If you dont care about optically clear then you can save some $$ but the less expensive plastics wont last as long or hold up to use as well as they dont have the same UV inhibitors.Charlie
I was looking at these but do not see anything saying that it is UV treated. However they say it does not turn colors in the sun. Should I be looking for items that say "optically clear" or "UV protection" ? Thanks

1638095230727.png

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
I am going to get some vinyl cleaner and clean and buff them with my rotary buffer/microfiber and see if that will make a difference. I never clean them this way just soap and water. I still want to replace even if it is just to learn how anyway.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
You have a hard top right? Would the gauge make a difference if it was connecting to a bimini-top?
I’ve had both by the same OEM
No difference other than the front curtain was 30 mils as well on the Bimini.

Give Plexus a try before tearing into them with a buffer. Does a great job at cleaning and protection

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
I’ve had both by the same OEM
No difference other than the front curtain was 30 mils as well on the Bimini.

Give Plexus a try before tearing into them with a buffer. Does a great job at cleaning and protection
I will pick up a can of that expensive stuff. I see it works for headlights too! I also need to clean the yellow off my trucks lights. Thanks will update you.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I will pick up a can of that expensive stuff. I see it works for headlights too! I also need to clean the yellow off my trucks lights. Thanks will update you.
Boy has it gone up….I paid $17 a can delivered to the house a couple of years ago.

The good thing is that it doesn’t take much. A can should last you a couple of years.