What fluro are you using?

skimmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought some 6lb and 8lb Sunline flurocarbon a couple of weeks ago, its fairly pricey and I've been getting snapped off every second fish, I'm thinking of going back to the old berkley vanish. Is their any good new stuff out, its too hard to keep up these days?

Zero Balance

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What fluro are you using?

Try wetting your knot before cinching it. I use P-Line CSX. It's been good for me. I think Vanish sucks.

skimmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try wetting your knot before cinching it. I use P-Line CSX. It's been good for me. I think Vanish sucks.
Yeah I always wet it before pulling it tight, and use a five turn or a double uni with a uni to my lure, the sunline just seems very brittle, even for fluro, i'm not a huge fan of vanish either, but at least I used to get my lures back. My local tackleo was telling me about P-line last time I was down there but he hasn,t got any in stock yet, might have to hunt around for some and give it a go.

Zero Balance

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well it has been good to me. Try cabelas or Bass Pro.

EJ3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been using 30lb flouracarbon, Triplefish brand, and seems to work fine for me.

Zero Balance

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Power Pro Flouro? Huh.... Say it aint so..:confused: :D

skimmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm impressed with the p-line zero, hardly any memory, no where near as brittle as the sunline, the 4lbs a bit hard to tie you can barely see it, nice one mate.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

What kinda of fish do you need a 6 LB Fluro for.
In Salt water I hardly ever use anything less than 15 to 20 for leader. Salmon I use 20 but have tried 15 to see if made any difference and it did not. Your warer may be clearer than our as we can normally only see about 20 feet deep.

I like P Line also but CSX is not flurocarbon. It is a great line.

I tested every line that came out for almost 10 years and berkely line was the very worst. It large diameter for the same test so has lots of dag and requires larger weights.

In Mono I like P Line and Stren best.
Today I only use Mono for leader and use a braded Spectra type line.

The very worst line of all time was Berkley Kevlar, was good for about 30 days before it would break on every hook set.

Second worse is Spider Line. The line loose brade was weak. it would not hold a knot some even tried glueing the knots.

Each brand is slightly different but most are very good. I have seen some broken graphite rods from people setting too hard. With the Spectra lines and almost no strech just do not have to set so hard. Can feel the bite so much better and use much smaller weights.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I've tried a bunch of them but the best for my money is still Seaguar.

I use #30-80 for YFT and #15-20 for everything else. Works great

skimmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What kinda of fish do you need a 6 LB Fluro for.

Bream
Australian bass
Trout
Flathead
Whiting
Estuary Perch
just to name a few
Any light tackle fishing using plastics or Hardbodies the lighter the better, Hell i've even gone down to 2lbs when the fish are being ultra sensitive. if your drags set and you've got a net in the boat you can land a 2-3kg fish on 2lb leader, Not to mention how much fun it is.

Zero Balance

Petty Officer 2nd Class

CFX is P-lines fluro. I use CSX as a mainline. Sorry, never noticed the typo in my earlier post. Thanks for clarifying that boatist.

Seagaur is also made by P-line
Edit: Actually I think it's the other way around.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Skimmer
Yes for Trout I also use 6 pound test in P Line, or Stren Magnathin.
Black bass I use 8 Pound Magnathin or P line.
Here in the states these fish are freshwater fish which is much different than the saltwater where I use 20 lb test.

When fishing a tournament for black bass We retie after every big fish and after about 50 casts. Just to not want to loose that winning fish from a nick in the line.

skimmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very similar down here boatist, for 70% of my fishing I would use 20lb+ out on the reefs, most of our freshwater and saltwater estuary fishing is done on light gear, on the lake where I live we target bream a lot, which is a saltwater species that can be caught off beaches and the rocks but the only way to get them on lure is in the estuarys on light tackle which makes them a popular sportfish heres a photo of one about to smash an ecogear sx 40

Attachments

• coota murky bream.jpg
    coota murky bream.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 0