What Engine temp?

Hi all,<br /> I have done a search and read allot of info before posting but what I read was not quite specificly the answer I am after.<br />Its a simple one and all I want to know is what was the factory "normal running temp" on my 1989 OMC 5.7 4v cobra drive.<br />This is new to me and are just in the middle of doing the impeller ect as preventative maintainance.<br />It runs around 160-170 on muffs in the drive and a little less in the lake (this is before replacement parts).<br />My manifolds are warm not hot but after about 10 seconds of haveing your hands firmly placed on them thats about enough, Risers probably a couple of seconds less than that.<br />Does this all seem about right?.<br />I havent had any luck with a service manual / book yet but will probably get one sent here from the US.<br />Thanks<br /> mike

Bondo

Staff member
Re: What Engine temp?

It Sounds like All is Well with your motor........

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: What Engine temp?

My 4.3 with a year old impeller, thermo housing, stat, and new manifolds runs at about 160, manifolds/risers are just warm, you can keep your hands on them easily after running. On these OMC's the thermo usually starts to open about 160, is fully open at 175 or so. So your engine temp sounds good. What I would do is also feel the hoses after the risers, to make sure they are not too hot. Sometimes the risers or manifolds will start to clog, and the motor won't overheat but the exhaust may, which can melt the rubber hoses that connect the risers to the Y pipe. See if you can get an OE OMC shop manual, they are very good.