what else should I replace?

SSG D

Cadet
OK, If my Stator is bad,and it is looking like it is, is there anything I should replace while I am in there?? Regulator?switchbox?trigger? It is on an 1987 80hp Merc 3cyl. also how do I tell if it is a 9 amp or 16 amp?

ninja500r

Seaman Apprentice
Re: what else should I replace?

I had to replace my stator and trigger due to wire degradation. The trigger is fairly cheap and it is right there when you have the flywheel off to replace the stator. It's one of those "you might as well" things if it is kinda old.

Awsum O

Recruit

One thing I would suggest is to go through your entire wiring harness. Check every wire and connection you can. Make sure the connections are clean and not corroded, no frayed casings or bare wires showing, loose wires should be secured where they can't be damaged by moving parts, ground wires should be clean with no corrosion. Some electrical parts fail as a result of age and use. Some fail prematurely due to other unknown problems such as bad grounds and corrosion. I was once plagued with electrical problems until I found the reason. A loose bolt for a ground wire!!

jmburock

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just answered your questions in the original post you made.