what does this screw do?

coxswain

Cadet
Hi,
I thought screw # 23 in pic was an idle adjustment...it wasnt touching anything so I screwed it down till it touched. next time I shifted it was hard, I forced it and the screw broke. Anyone know the correct way to adjust it for when I replase it? also, what does it do? the arm it connects to seems to ride right over the screw stop when shifting. I know its got something to do with the shifting but it seems useless if it doesnt touch anything. Any insight will be helpful. and Youes...I'm an idiot
Thanks
bill
ita an 88 force 50 hp

Attachments

• 1988force50.jpg
    1988force50.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: what does this screw do?

Screw #23 is a fast idle adjustment screw. It is not supposed to touch anything until you put the engine in fast idle/warm-up position.

To do this , you, depending upon control type, pull out the silver knob, or push in the center button, or pull out the whole control handle, and push it forward as far as it will go. This allows the engine to advance the throttle and timing only slightly for cold starting.

The screw should be adjusted so that when in fast idle, it bears against the cam on the tower linkage and engine RPM while running is limited to about 1500-2000 RPM in neutral. In forward or reverse, the whole arm it is attached to (shift arm) swings up or down, out of the way, and the engine can be advanced to full throttle.

What broke, the screw, the arm, or the tower shaft?

coxswain

Cadet

just the screw...$.99 cents. it makes perfect sense now...thanks. I dont typically use the fast idle option...motor runs great. I did have some issues with slow idle stalling but once i adjusted the fuel mixture its been fine.
I know these force engins have a bad reputation but I think I have a good one. Its an 88, I've only had it a few months. It came on an 88 sea nymph fish n ski 17' aluminum boat and it powers it just fine.
thanks again
Bill

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

That is one of the many reasons to have a good manual for your motor. All those adjustments must be done in a certain order to ensure proper operation. They pay for themselves very rapidly.