What does a temp switch do?

jesse_h97

Cadet
In the manual it states the temp switch opens at 147F is this what allows water to the head?

j_martin

Admiral
Re: What does a temp switch do?

It might help to know what engine you're talking about.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would guess that might be the overheat sensor. It sets of the alarm at 147??

jesse_h97

Cadet

sorry, its a 1995 merc 90 lpto. The manual says opens at 170F closes at 190F

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

147F is where OB thermostats open and in doing so, allow water to circulate through the head and around the cylinders....the exhaust usually gets a continuous uninterrupted supply.

It is a switch, but we usually associate it with the name thermostat. Also, a switch is commonly thought to be a digital (1/0) sort of critter. A thermostat is more of an analog function (starts opening at spec temp, more or less, and continues to open wider as temp rises until fully opened).

On newer engines there is a temperature switch. It is the overtemp switch that usually monitors the water in the area of the heads and is set to short out, grounding the circuit at around 190F. This action causes your horn to blow continuously.

Mark

Last edited:

jesse_h97

Cadet

Sorry the thermostat works fine, I pulled it and ran some hot water on it. This is a little round looking cylinder at the base of the power head under a terminal block. The temp sensor is attached to it as well. its labeled P under my repair manual wiring diagram.

jesse_h97

Cadet

thanks! to test that I pulled that wire and grounded it to the block and it sounds the alarm. Will the alarm sound if there is low voltage? With engine running the battery reads 11.9v and the alarm is very low and squeaky in fact I had to jump it with the truck. Ive since unplugged all the bilge and light wires which look very bad. I believe the poor rpm's are from not being run in 10 years and old plugs.

j_martin

Admiral

thanks! to test that I pulled that wire and grounded it to the block and it sounds the alarm. Will the alarm sound if there is low voltage? With engine running the battery reads 11.9v and the alarm is very low and squeaky in fact I had to jump it with the truck. Ive since unplugged all the bilge and light wires which look very bad. I believe the poor rpm's are from not being run in 10 years and old plugs.

Keep it up and you'll burn it down and make an anchor out of it.

Check this link, and put the engine in proper condition before you try to run it.

Waking UP a Sleeping Outboard

The switch in question is the overheat alarm switch. It sounds the alarm if cooling fails.

hope it helps
John

jesse_h97

Cadet

thanx, but i believe its too late :( I'm sending it to a proper mechanic.