What do you think this is?

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class
5k52s2
It measures 2"x7", is located just below the waterline and appears to have a ground wire ( I think) connected to it.

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What do you think this is?

Sorry, I'm not able to get the picture to work.

Moody Blue

Captain

Didn't work for me either. Said thumbnail is not available.

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now it works---------I think.

amirm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I see it. Can you give some context though? Is the background the beach or the body of a ship?

Dunaruna

Admiral

Pics working now. What's connected on the inside apart from the wire? Where does the wire go?<br /><br />Aldo

tengals123

Master Chief Petty Officer

an electric powered fender??<br /><br />kidding :p <br />I have no idea what it is.<br /><br />cheers

18rabbit

Captain

It's a ground plate. Often used for the AC safety ground (green wire) with inverts onboard. On land the green wire goes into the ground. On a boat, it goes into the water. Btw, it's not unusual for the DC ground to be tied to that as well. Having the AC grounding and the DC ground tied together remains a controversial issue. It has both advantages and disadvantages. Lastly, they are also used with very heavy braided copper strapping connecting it to the mast as part of the protection from lightening strikes. Normally not found on boats until you get up around 30-ft or so.<br /><br />See the right side of the pic, next to the keel cooler.<br /><br />
gnd_plate1.jpg

tengals123

Master Chief Petty Officer

well there you go. You learn something new everyday.<br /><br /> :) <br /><br />cheers

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class

18rabbit,<br /><br />Thanks for your answer, I think your right.<br /><br /> Sorry about the confusing picture with no reference points.I should have taken more photos'. This is a boat that has been modified quite a bit by the previous owner. The wireing inside the cabin is,in my opinion,not factory. There are wires hanging down, some not going anywhere,broken insulation, corrosion and splices galore. I think the guy must have added the shore power himself.<br /><br />Anyway,I was looking at this rats-nest trying to figure it out when I traced, what I thought to be, a ground wire from the shore power recepticle to this piece of metal on the outside of the hull. It has turned green. I don't know what type of metal it is made of. At first I thought it might be some sort of sacrificial anode or something. One thing is for certain though I won't be putting any AC power to this boat for some time.

Tatorbug

Seaman Apprentice

It looks like a Sacrificial elecrode which aids in minimizing corrosion on alunimum parts.