what do you think of this boat....

hadvisor

Seaman Apprentice
http://www.shipyardmarine.com/showboat.php?RecID=611 <br /><br />We are looking for a cuddy but I'm not ready to finance a new boat yet. A friend of mine bought a new crownline as a first boat - f-d up all sorts of things and now doesn't want an open bow anymore...So - we thought about staying on the older/less expensive side to see if we would like a cuddy. <br />Any feedback on this boat? Cruisers quality good, bad, indifferent? Anything major I should be looking for this weekend when I check it out? The dealer is willing to take my boat in on trade which is nice - less messing around.<br />Thanks guys...

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: what do you think of this boat....

I don't know about the brand quality but other than a little upholstry tidying up it looks like a steal. How does the motor run?

Tufan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll give you my boat for the same price, mine is 95 with brand new (2003 engine & out drive) on it.<br /><br />It is a Mariah 21 CC, Merc Alpha I - 205 Davanti, 5.7 lt.

mkuehnl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hadvisor:<br /><br />Are you bragging or complaining? That is a wonderful LOOKING boat. If the mechanicals check out I would snap-it-up. I am going to be in Appleton this weekend if you don't grab it I may !!!!

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Cruisers make a good solid boat in that size and year.The deal maker or breaker is the engine and drive.Take it for a good long run and ask if they mind if you bring in a mechanic to do a compression test on the motor.Charlie

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Cruisers went from a very very good boat builder in the seventies, to an exceptional boat builder in the 80's and 90's.<br />They are now in the upper most level of boat builders, molstly building 30-60 'custom cruisers and yachts. They are carrying on the tradition of finely made big water boats that has existed in this area for many years. <br /><br />As with any used purchase, it should be checked out thoroughly.<br /><br /> http://www.cruisersyachts.com/about/history.htm <br /><br />and the new ones:<br /> http://www.cruisersyachts.com/yachts/index.htm

hadvisor

Seaman Apprentice

Crazy and roscoe - thanks for the reply - I'm just trying to get some feedback on the brand/quality - I dont know much about the boat.<br />That is the kind of info that is useful.<br />Mkuehnl - bragging or complaining?!? This is exactly why I don't like posting on boards....<br />ghost - free delivery?!?!?!<br />I guess they are going to hold off on shrink wrapping it so I can take a better look - Have not yet checked out the motor or drive - trying to get the old owners info.<br />Thanks again....

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

hadvisor,<br /><br />I have a nearly identical boat (25ft cruising version). Can be a little tricky to drive, prone to bow steer. Doesn't handle real good around the dock. Reverse is a general direction and slow to respond. Take a look at the size of the trim tabs on the transom, they are somewhat oversized, for a reason. Upside, built like a tank. Nice materials of construction and great fit and finish. Factory support in Occonto Wisconsin in second to none. Snap in carpet is great and the engine compartment is oversprayed to a smooth finish so you should be able to see any oil leaks and the like. Easy to clean and track leaks. Gel coat is great and can be brought to life in needed with sandpaper, 180grit. The 5.7 should push you over 50mph and provide at least reasonable mileage. The transom is like 2-3 inches thick and solid, the swim platform is set high with no vents so she bangs with anything over 1ft from the stern. Stringers up front are like glassed 4x4's making it a nice stiff boat. She runs real level even with an unbalanced load. The compass can be hard to see from most angles. Cuts through waves like a knife but can roll badly in a beam sea. <br /><br />Would I buy it again, absolutely. I love mine.

John Carpenter

Petty Officer 1st Class

A good friend is a very experienced boater & he raves about the quality of his Cruiser's Inc. 29 footer (late '80's I think) I have to say that it certainly appears to be better built than my Chris Craft ('78 28 footer) for what that is worth. From the pics in the link you posted, I like the boat.<br /><br />That said I think it is overpriced. Did the dealer trade for the boat? A little over a year ago I sold a 23' Monterey cuddy for $9,000 (1989)...the boat was in good shape. If I were you and wanted to buy the boat I would go in right now and offer him 7K cash. If he says no, turn around and walk for the door....you won't make it that far.

Tufan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll send the boat to you, I bought a bigger boat - trying the sell my old one.<br /><br />Send me an e-mail if you are serious.<br />tufan@go-gta.com

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Find out when the risers & manifolds were last replaced & if more than five years get an estimate.

mkuehnl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Then why did you post?

11 footer

Lieutenant

What are you upgrading from?<br /><br />I personally don't have much experance with closed bow cuddy type boats, but that boat looks like it could be a pain docking and trailering with the small cockpit and large cuddy.

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

If the engine and outdrive check out then get it. It's clean and Cruisers has a good reputation in my area. Try for less than $8900. You could probably get it for $8000 or less. Remind the dealer that it is a 16 year old boat. In a month or 2 it will be a 17 year old boat.

hadvisor

Seaman Apprentice

mkuehnl - let it go, christ. <br /><br />I'm stepping up from a 17ft larson open bow - I realize it's gonna be quite different docking and whatnot - thinking about getting into a marina for the summer so I won't be out of the water too much. The cockpit was a bit small - smaller than it looked on the internet. I could sit behind the front seats with plenty of leg room tho(i'm over six feet tall) On the other hand the cuddy seemed to be bigger than I thought. Tons of storage in the engine compartment/ deep compartments below the seat, and in the cabin. Overall, we really liked the boat. All service was taken care of and a 30 day return from day of first launching. I guess we will see what happens next. Thanks for the advice so far guys...

hadvisor

Seaman Apprentice

We bought the boat today - the marina came this morning and picked up my boat from the garage so I get to finally park inside again!! 4500 trade difference with free storage this winter and I got a garmin 76c also. Transaction went very well - I would highly recommend Shipyard Marine to anybody. Now I just have to wait for nice weather....

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

NADA average retail value is about $7300, low retail - $5900 equipped the way described. Base without trim tabs, cover, stereo is $5300-6500.<br /><br />Check this and your old boat to determine deal reasonable-ness.<br /><br />http://www.nadaguides.com/Values/ValueReport.asp?UserID=e8391c0c-7706-46b5-9184-4dd03e6ee2ef&DID=38326&Type=MR&GCode=MR&wPg=1107&wSec=4&Letter=C&Com=0409&Year=1988&Model=1600052242 <br /><br /> http://www.nadaguides.com/MarineHom...2ef&DID=38326&ColorId=&wSec=14&wPr=0&wPg=2004

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Congrats on the new /used boat.