What do you think about this setup?

jstcrzyengh

Seaman
Hello Everyone, <br /><br />I built a balanced and blueprinted 355 for my Camaro. However I am stepping up an LS1 for it, so now I have a $6,000 block that I cant do anything with that I would like to stick in my boat. Here’s the setup. The current engine is a 305 so everything easily transfers over, infact it wont take up any more space. It is a 1977 engine OMC electric shift stringer setup. <br /><br />I know I will need to change the cam, I am thinking about this cam:<br /> http://cranecams.com/?show=browsePa...-350 C.I.&partNumber=109811&partType=camshaft <br /><br />Or<br /><br /> http://cranecams.com/?show=browsePa...-350 C.I.&partNumber=109831&partType=camshaft <br /><br />Though I like the milder (first cam) for the boat.<br /><br />I am going to use Fel Pro Marine gaskets for the intake and heads. I am going to sell my ported AFR 195’s (aluminum heads) and pick up a pair of L98 heads and have them completely rebuilt with SS or titanium valves for little to no corrosion. <br /><br />Going with a marine intake (any suggestions), and a holley 4 barrell 650 Carb (not sure on part numbers, I was also looking at some kind of fuel injection, but haven’t seen any to transplant on… Any help here? I am going to rebuild the distributer (marine of course) and pick up a new alternator, water pump, and starter (again all marine). The engine has Brass Freeze plugs, basically the best you can buy. I will need to pick up a new oil pan as I don’t think the moroso will work. <br /><br />The engine like I said is balanced and blueprinted and was built with all forged internals. TRW forged pistons, forged rods, forged crank, all internally balanced of course. I know there has been a lot of discussion about the conversion from auto to marine, but since this is just a short block I wasn’t seeing an issue. It does have a cloyes double roller chain, not sure if it is AL, but it may just get minor spray on it. I am also going to get new exhaust. So it will be like a fresh install. <br /><br />Will this be ok? Also it should mount to the OMC drive just fine right? I think with that first cam I can put down about 320hp… The engine was designed for 600 (with nitrous) any thoughts and/or feelings on this?<br /><br />James

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: What do you think about this setup?

hello<br /> motor sounds ok. however at 300HP and extended time above 4000and or hard acceleration and you will find how many parts are NLA for that drive. :)

jstcrzyengh

Seaman

Oh I know :) I just spent $2,400 having it serviced. Should of watched ebay first. Could nearly get completely repainted and rebuilt whole units for that. :( However spending $2k in parts and my buddy and I spending a day to do the install should make a big difference. After calling several of the local boat shops just to get a valve job they wanted anywhere from $800 - $1000. I can get a complete rebuild with a serdi valve job for about $400, not including new valves. Pulling heads is pulling heads. But I think I will take it up very slowly to 3k. IT just needs to realistically last me two summer seasons before I move up to the parker. As long as the consensus is it will be good to go. I am all in. Any ideas on intake and carb?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Is that one of those drives that has springs that wrap around the gears to engage them? They'll snap with that kind of power and I don't think they're available anymore. They were God Awful expensive when they were. :eek:

jstcrzyengh

Seaman

IT is one of those drives however the local builder said as long as I am nice to it it will be able to handle the power. I dont need to take off like a bat out of h#ll I just need to get to the fishing spot a little bit quicker. IT had a 245 305... So as long as I am careful... Here's hoping

Bondo

Staff member

Ok,....... You Asked,... Here's My take on it..........<br /><br />1) You're going to have Issues converting from a 2pc. rear main seal to a 1 pc.............<br />I Don't do OMCs, But there's a Coupler in there Somewhere......And, the Flywheel IS different.......<br /><br />2)You make No Mention of the static compression ratio....<br />Of Your cam choices, the 1st is Too Small...& the 2nd is Too Big.......& the LSA isn't stated......<br />You should be looking for something in the 214* to 218*@.050 range.... With an LSA in the 109* to 112* range..... <br />This will keep you Safe from reversion,+ build Good Power........<br /><br />3) Depending on your Pistons, A set of Vortec Heads just Can't be Beat, for the Torque requirements of a Boat engine.......<br />If you can't make the required Quench, or the compression is Too high with the Vortecs,.. Go with heads the have Small Intake runners,..170ccs or so.... Small runners make Great Torque... Big runners will stall out the flow......<br />A Good Quality set of Intake valves will do.....<br />Exhaust Valves Should be a set of Inconel Valves.....Expensive, but they'll take the Heat,+ Stress of a Marine appl........<br />"with SS or titanium valves for little to no corrosion. " It's got Nothing to do with corrosion.... It's the Heat.... Forget the titanium,... This Isn't a NASCAR motor.........<br /><br />Intake manifold,+ carb are up to you....Just make Sure it's a Dual-Plane....Single Plane will Kill your torque.......High-rise, or low-rise is what ever you want,+ will clear the engine cover........<br />I'm in Love with the Merc./Weber/Carter/Edlebrock AFB Carb.....It's Super Simple to Tune....No Gaskets below fuel level, Can't Leak...... Just a Darn Nice Carb.......650cfm is Plenty.....<br />
It does have a cloyes double roller chain, not sure if it is AL
????????....Cloyes Is quality Stuff.... just Paint the cover......Same with the Base.... If the Moroso will Fit(clear the bottom of the boat, clear the starter, etc.), It'll work just Fine....<br />
Also it should mount to the OMC drive just fine right?
Ayuh,... It's the Same Block dimensions....<br />If there's an Issue,.. It'll be the Flywheel/ Coupler.........<br /><br />As stated above,....... Your Drive Isn't Going to Like This Kind of Power..........<br /><br />Good Luck...

tommays

Admiral

jst<br /><br />i really cant see the drive being able to handle a prop with enough pitch to use that much power effectly <br /><br />i dont believe they ever put more than 200 hp through it from the factory <br /><br />tommays

D

DJ

hello<br />motor sounds ok. however at 300HP and extended time above 4000and or hard acceleration and you will find how many parts are NLA for that drive.
I completely agree. I've seen allot less power than that spit the gears right out the back, along with the propshaft/prop. :eek:

DHPMARINE

Captain

If I were repowering an OMC stringer drive,I would want to lower HP not raise it.WillyBWright is telling it like it is.Those springs that grab the gear hubs just won't last even at stock HP.And $330 a pop if you can find them (plus labor)<br /><br />DHP

paulrfrancisco

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sell the whole kit and kaboodle, engine and the boat... Then take the cash and put a down payment on that Parker you really want.<br /><br />Just my 2 cents...

jstcrzyengh

Seaman

The 350 has the following pistons and CR:<br />Trw L2256F30 pistons<br />Compression Ratio’s<br />58cc – 10.40 CR<br />64cc – 9.72<br />68cc – 9.32<br />72cc – 8.96<br />76cc – 8.82<br /><br />Vortecs are 64cc, makes it a little high. I am not sure about marine engines, but I don’t like taking an auto engine past 9.5 on iron heads on California “detergent” gasoline. Even running 91 octane I will have to run a lot of advance. <br /> <br />I also have a spare LB9 305 engine laying around (9.3CR). It is a stock auto engine making 215hp with a TPI setup. It is not machined to the same specs as the 350 though… I am open to any and all ideas… I can change out the cam than just put the current intake and rebuild the carb and throw that in the engine. Any guesses on how long that would last? If it would get me two seasons (one to two trips a week) well maintained, that would be the cheapest route for me. I would do a simple rebuild, new cam, and like I said rebuild the current carb and use the intake manifold. Cost me $500 to get the boat to an operating range again.<br /><br />Any specific cams?<br /><br />James

DHPMARINE

Captain

Well,that being said,go ahead.<br /><br />Stringers Forever<br /><br />DHP