What do you do with undersize fish?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Guys, I wanted to post this in fishing, but polls arent allowed there. I wanted it to be a poll cause I want it to be anonymous.<br /><br />What do you do when you catch a fish that is 1-2 inches undersize?

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Re: What do you do with undersize fish?

I ain't scarred, I'll say, I'm in the 28% range myself.

BinLurkin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yabut, I'm thinking of alternatives. Here in Californee, they make us fish with circle hooks for salmon. I ain't caught one since. They say it's so they can be released unharmed. I've been at this for 30 years & ain't got one undersized yet that didn't swim off like a bat out of heck when released. Actually, I've only got 3 or 4 that were to small. I'm 'bout ready to slit their throats before I release them if I ever catch another undresized one. You go try to catch a fish on a circle hook. We still get the bites, but no fish. It's coming to your area soon.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

These darn speckeld trout here are very fragile. They swallow the hook, an you use any amount of time getting the hook out, they will die. I have been somewhat successful bringing them back by running water in their gills.<br /><br />Ken

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Ken...as much as possible I use hooks that will rust away and then when I have fish with hook too deep I just cut the line and away they go...cheap hooks rust away quick especially in salt water...I also been losing the barbs when I fish where I might be having to turn fish loose...don't seem to have much prollems with that either..just a thought :eek:ol:

mattttt25

Commander

i've been caught with undersized crabs. dnr wasn't happy. a good lecture and fine followed. i now always throw back undersized fish/crabs, even if it's close.<br /><br />circle hooks work in my opinion. the old salts don't like them, but tough. right now it's not law here, but people are urged to use them. i always use them when fishing cut bait.

SCO

Lieutenant

If I am into a school of mostly undersized fish, I use single hook jig plastics with the barb filed off. They usually dont inhale it, and even if they do you can get it out. Mosttimes you don't have to touch the fish, just grab lure and let fish fall off. Gotta keep the line taught. I let the undersized fish go, unharmed.

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

what's the "none of the above" selection for? Either you keep it or not

rwise

Captain

If the fish is dead, why waste it, but then I have read laws that stated you cannot waste "natural resources" and was worse that keeping a dieing fish. If they are to small I throwem back so the can grow up. And it would depend on what fish, small perch = bait!

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

The Turtles Need to eat also....

gaugeguy

Captain

I lost my fishing liscence when I was 19 for a year because I had a fish that was slightly less than an inch too short. That will never happen again. If it is "questionable" it goes back in the water. It is just not worth the risk.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by knobby:<br /> what's the "none of the above" selection for? Either you keep it or not
It was also an intellegence test too. ;) ;) <br /><br />Ken

aspeck

Staff member

Little fish taste good too! Although I usually return all fish to the water. Reason is not such an environmental reason as it is laziness. I am fishing to relax and enjoy - don't want to make more work for myself cleaning them! Hate to "waste" any though, so keep the ones that might not make it. Mostly use artifical, so that is not usually a problem.

Link

Rear Admiral

I used to keep them if they were going to die. And the game wardens understood this. But it really depends on where I'm at now days.<br /><br />Using only barbless hooks for all fishing helps a lot also.

LadyFish

Admiral

I never keep an undersized fish, the fines are steep and the laws are in place for a reason.<br /><br />I feel horrible when I hook into a soft fish like a speckeled trout and have to release him and he's been hurt. Some make it, some don't. The ones that float provide food for the birds. I am very careful not to cause injury to fish that aren't legal but it happens.<br /><br />It is a waste. But if everyone was allowed to keep undersized fish that are injured, there would always be those that would injure them just to keep them.